Yanmar head gasket replacement as preventive maintenance? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-12-2015 Thread Starter

Yanmar head gasket replacement as preventive maintenance?

I have read a number of comments that many of the Yanmar GM series engines die as a result of water leaking past the head gasket, so that has raised the question of doing something like replacing just the gasket before it has failed. Is this something that is done by fastidious owners of older motors (1985 here)? If not, would periodic (2-3 year interval) oil analysis be a good back-up for early warnings about water getting past gasket? Or, does everyone just wait for a problem on the theory that it is not very common? so far, I have a really sweet running well maintained motor and would not want to destroy it with careless maintenance.

Mike sullivan
1985 Marshall 22 catboat
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-12-2015

Re: Yanmar head gasket replacement as preventive maintenance?

Oil analysis is a good idea. Changing a head gasket preemptively is overkill, IMHO, and if not done right (including pulling and reinstalling all the injectors, fuel lines, etc) will cause problems of its own. If it ain't broke...
post #3 of 15 Old 05-12-2015

My guess is that by changing a head gasket before it fails you are more likely to cause a problem than prevent one.

If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

----------
I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination.
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #4 of 15 Old 05-12-2015

Periodic checking the head bolt torque values won't hurt...
RichH likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-12-2015 Thread Starter

Don't mess with it is my normal motto also, unless the problem is well known and happens suddenly with major effect. With periodic oil analysis, would a water leak from gasket generally be something that develops slowly and likely to be caught early enough to avoid big issues? I am in the typical 50 hour/year user group, but the motor does get well warmed up on most trips and is moored in a tidal estuary with high fresh water flow (5 knot current often) so it soaks in less salty water for the most part. I'd have to admit I have never actually done oil analysis either, but will probably start doing that.

Mike sullivan
1985 Marshall 22 catboat
post #6 of 15 Old 05-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
With this I can agree. However, be aware that for some engines the bolts are engineered so that once they are torqued they cannot be taken out and re-torqued (I used to have a Chevy pickup with such an engine). But, I have no idea whether Yanmar engines are like this.
MedSailor likes this.

----------
I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination.
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 15 Old 05-12-2015

aa3jy has got it 100% right .... periodically retorque the engine head. Such will keep the correct pressure onto the head gasket, prevent/lessen the head from warping, etc. etc.

You should be periodically checking/resetting the valve rocker gaps ... additionally thats a good time to retorque the head. A fifteen minute job once your 'already inside' the valve cover.
Yanmar does not use 'stretch' head bolts for thier heads; so, just retorque to spec (retorque 3 times each bolt in the pattern shown in the engine's service manual).
;-)

Last edited by RichH; 05-12-2015 at 05:05 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-12-2015

That would be serious overkill and I will second the oil analysis suggestion too.

Maybe I would do so, if another issue required me to strip it down close to that far anyway. To do properly, you may need to mill the surface of the head or the new gasket might not seat properly and cause the leak you're trying to prevent. Not a straightforward job, nor one typically done as a prophylactic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-12-2015
me at 67!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Isn't this an "old school" belief? I remember my Dad saying; "Gotta run it and tighten the bolts after it heats up a few times"

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #10 of 15 Old 05-12-2015
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Isn't this an "old school" belief? I remember my Dad saying; "Gotta run it and tighten the bolts after it heats up a few times"
With my recent issues I was speaking to a mechanic on this issue. There are SOME engines where the torque bolts can not be re-used or re-tightened. They must actually be thrown away if they are too loose or are taken out. I believe that MOST engines, this is not the case, but because there is a difference I would consult a mechanic first. Indeed many of the things that "pa" used to do are not, in fact best practices.

You can be assured though that no harm should come to your engine from an oil analysis.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.