If the diesel tank is done for... - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-17-2015 Thread Starter

If the diesel tank is done for...

Well, I'm still trying to confirm but it might be that my extremely rusty old diesel fuel tank on my CAL 29 is finally seeping fuel out, leaking.

If it is, it seems my options are:

1. Replace it. As it's tucked behind my engine under the cockpit, I imaging that means cutting up the cockpit, lifting it out of the hole, replacing it and putting the cockpit back together.

How much might that run in a boatyard?

2. Leave it and install additional. I imagine I could pump the fuel out of it, then seal it up with something if possible. Do they make tank sealant? Then install 1-2 new (probably smaller) tanks somewhere else. Maybe in the cockpit storage under the seats or something. Is this an idea?

Unfortunately, I think both are ones I'll get boatyard's help with, though #2 sounds cheaper.

Anyone have thoughts? Anyone know how much a boatyard might charge for either?

Thanks in advance, and always, for the ideas and help!

-Charts
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-17-2015

Re: If the diesel tank is done for...

By the time you figure out how and where to install new tanks, and make them, and get them hooked up, fix #1 will start to look really good. Depending upon where you have it done, it might not cost too much to replace the old one. You could save yourself some money by cutting out the bottom of the cockpit yourself and taking out the old tank. Make as clean a cut as possible. A circular saw with only a half inch of the blade showing should do most of it. A Sawzall or jigsaw could also work, but it is harder to keep them going in a clean, straight line. Make sure no wires,cables or controls are in the way first! Hold the saw firmly with both hands. It will be awkward, since you'll need to be kneeling on the seat, not the cockpit floor that you're cutting out. Once the old tank has been removed, chances are good that there's a standard -sized tank that can be fitted in, strapped down and hooked up. Various retailers show tanks in the size range you'll need for about $200. I Then you need to fiberglass the cockpit floor back in. If you want to do THAT yourself, materials might cost $100. The trickiest part will be figuring out a way to hold the floor in place while applying the fiberglass and letting it 'kick'. Temporary supports underneath might be the best, if you can get in there somehow. If you hire it out, it might take 3 to 4 hours for the mechanic to install the new tank, and another two hours for the fiberglass guy. All told, maybe $1000 to have it done for you? Pick what works best for you.
chartscharts likes this.

Last edited by paulk; 05-17-2015 at 08:50 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-17-2015
One of None

Mine was big, behind the engine and came up and out the lazertte! So, before you start moaning and groaning and calling "the yard" get a tape measure, measure measure and measure, think how and if, rather then chop up the boat, cut up the tank! All we needed to was cut the filler neck off. We (when I had employees) cut up fuel oil tanks to get them out of basements. A boat tank should be allot less trouble!

Why does everyone want to cut up boats? Just about ANY diesel tank can be sectioned in an hour or so. If you are really scared of an explosion set a hose to spray water mist on the blades and in the tank. Use cordless saws. A horizontal cut will give you 2 "pans" replace the old with a smaller standard size if necessary. My 19 gal Moeller was less than $100
jrd22, paul323 and oldfurr like this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 05-17-2015 at 10:49 PM.

post #4 of 22 Old 05-17-2015

Cut open the tank and install a fuel bladder..aircraft use these all the time.With good measurement's they can build them custom in Eagle River Wi..........Dale
chartscharts likes this.

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #5 of 22 Old 05-18-2015
One of None

Yes... I sound a bit angry.. it angers me allot when people are so quick "cut" and don't/won't/can't even use a ruler and photos to determine if things can be wrestled out or reduced in size BEFORE crying the blues and reaching for saws and check books

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #6 of 22 Old 05-18-2015 Thread Starter

Hey Denise, thanks for the feedback and the idea of cutting out the tank rather than the cockpit. I'll definitely include that in the options to talk about.

By the way, I don't see any "crying the blues" or "moaning and groaning" in my original post. I must be reading it differently than you.

Try not to be angry. Some day I hope my life will allow me to spend more time on boat projects and to get really good at things like cutting up diesel tanks. But I'm not there yet. I don't know why that would make you angry, though.

Thanks again for the feedback and idea!
post #7 of 22 Old 05-18-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback and potential costs, Paul, it'll help me plan, and LSS, that's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of. Anyone else using fuel bladders?

-Charts.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-18-2015
One of None

It was a rant. I used the word people and not your name. We get tons of tank posts and most seem hellbent on cutting up a boat without even thinking of "ways" to get the tank out. I do realize some tanks just have to stay because the boat was essentially built around them. But when behind the engine under the C-pit floor... there should be a way. My friend joe had mine out to the filler neck while I was walking away to to the truck to get a sawzall We cut off when I walked back with the saw. 20 mins! Now the new Moeller tank can come out almost as fast!

My last project!
post #9 of 22 Old 05-18-2015

A couple of years ago we were greeted in the spring by 4" of diesel under the engine. We sawzalled the 30 year old corroded aluminum tank out & replaced with an outboard fuel tank. We've sailed the Chesapeake 4+ years since with no problems.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Sanderling" 32' Sharpie Ketch
post #10 of 22 Old 05-18-2015

If the holes aren't too bad you might get by with polysulfide aircraft tank sealant. Seals up to 1/4" vertical seams. Others report 20 years of success.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.