SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Vetus anti siphon valve

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bluto 
#1 ·
I recently installed the anti siphon valve on my 28 hp Volvo diesal engine. I am having some trouble with it. Whenever I push throttle up to where I am going 3 knots it seems the pressure from the impeller dislodges the flapper valve , resulting in water spewing out of the unit. I have tightened it as much as I can but does not make a difference. Any suggestions or similar problems?

#4 ·
You can pull the valve apart in about 2 minutes. Did you cut off the ends that go into the hose? Sounds stupid but if a 1 inch hose and you keep the 1/2 inch barb fitting on the valve you will get restricted water flow.
A down hill blockage is also a possibility but your cable is more likely.

#6 ·
I changed it because the previous one required me to manually open it when not in use and to close before I started the engine.
Also top of loop was only 6 inches above water level.
Nothing is blocked downstream from the valve. The unit is sealed how do you take it apart?
Had a mechanic look at it and he had no suggestions.

#8 ·
My unit has no screws on top. The L shaped tube comes out the side at the top of the loop. I am beginning to think I bought the wrong unit. This winter I will have my own version fabricated out of steel with some sort of thumb valve installed at the top of the loop.
Of note when I winterized my engine this week (took her out early do to vaction plans) I noticed that when I ran the antifreeze through the engine much more was going into the Vetus valve than was coming out. I figure there must be a blockage in the valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.