SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Universal starter terminals

835 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  eko_eko 
#1 ·
This question is about the original starter on a Universal M4-30.

I'm trying to replace the yellow/red starter solenoid wire, or at the very least disconnect it and clean the terminal.

The terminal is hidden in a strange little metal box next to the big positive terminal stud.

Try as I might, I can't see into that box. I've used an inspection camera, groped around with fingers, even used an ipod camera. What the heck is in there? Is there a screw terminal? Some photos of replacement starters seem to feature a spade terminal. I don't want to just pull on the starter wire unless I know there's a spade at the other end.

Does anyone here know what I have to do to remove the yellow/red wire from the starter solenoid?

#2 ·
Replying to myself: it's a (1/4-inch?) male spade terminal. The opening around it is just slightly too small for a modern waterproof female spade. Putting this back together is going to be interesting. I'm off to Sailorman for parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.