Modern Yanmar Diesel Sat for 3-4 years - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-28-2015 Thread Starter

Modern Yanmar Diesel Sat for 3-4 years

I recently acquired a fantastic boat. Sadly she has been un-attended for the past 3-4 years, as such hasn't been ran or maintained.

The hull was build in 1998 and the boat was registered in 05 so presumably its somewhere from a 1998-2005. It is a yanmar, and it has less than 20hrs on the clock.

What should be done service wise before attempting to fire her up aside from the obvious, drain and flush oil, coolant etc. replace with new.

Should injectors be pulled, maybe some sort of lubrication in the cylinders to prevent any damage on the first crank over?

Presumably a good idea to check / change raw water impeller to see if its brittle and no good.

I will post the exact model of the engine tomorrow after I get down to the boat.

Thanks!

Will
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-28-2015

Re: Modern Yanmar Diesel Sat for 3-4 years

"Any" internal combustion engine that has 'sat' for several years and that wasnt 'prepared' for long term storage, should be verified that the piston rings have not become frozen / stuck / rusted BEFORE attempting to start such an engine.

Simple procedure: remove injectors / spark plugs (or open the compression release on a diesel if it has one) and attempt to HAND TURN the engine ..... with large 'breaker bar' and socket attached to the crankshaft nose bolt. Gently, attempt to rotate the crankshaft; if it turns 'easily' then good, start the engine. If there is a lot of resistance to hand turning, then spritz in penetrating oil into the combustion chamber to free-up the piston rings in their grooves, let soak; then try to wiggle (do not use force) the rings loose. Keep soaking, etc. until you can 'wiggle' the rings free and ultimately be able to easily hand turn the engine over. For severely rusted/frozen piston rings, sometimes it can take a week or more of 'soaking', rocking/wiggling to free up frozen/rusted piston rings.
If you dont do this check, etc. or FORCE the engine to turn over with the starter, etc. you are at risk for breaking the piston rings.
krisscross likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 11-28-2015 at 10:06 AM.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-28-2015

Fresh fuel and fuel filters...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #4 of 24 Old 11-30-2015

I would be more concerned about condensation that has formed in the engine as there may be a rust spec on the fuel injection pump rack. I suggest that after you have replaced the impeller and fluids, that you crank the engine over with the stop control activated to get the oil around the engine for about 10 or 15 seconds. Then start the engine with the air filter off the engine. Make sure that you have a piece of plywood that you can hold over the intake in case the rack is stuck. This will be the only way to stop the engine in a run away situation. If you are lucky, the engine will be just fine and you can control the RPM with the throttle lever (governor control) and all will be right with the world.

However, if the rack does stick and the engine wants to overrev, block the intake with the plywood, NOT you hand as you hand can get sucked in. After the engine has stopped, remove the injection pump and have it serviced at a fuel injection shop.

Stanley,
Marine Diesel Engine Vendor

Last edited by NCboatrx; 11-30-2015 at 12:17 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-04-2015
Schooner Captain

3-4 years? dont worry about it.
Fire it up. If the starter does not turn it, then you have an issue.
No damage can result from trying, and what can happen (valves sticking) would already have happened.
As I have been rebuilding mine the past year I have not started it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 Old 12-29-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks, thats exactly what I did, changed the oil, rolled it over by hand while decompressed.. no bad noises etc, had someone on standby in case she ran away, and then fired her up.. couple min of rough idle and she smoothed right out.. going to have a mech go over it with me so that I know what to check and maintain regularly.
BarryL likes this.

Will
post #7 of 24 Old 12-30-2015 Thread Starter

Little bit of clatter but I guess thats pretty common for these yanmars

Will
post #8 of 24 Old 12-30-2015

Check your valve clearances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9 of 24 Old 01-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdadd View Post
Little bit of clatter but I guess thats pretty common for these yanmars
Which engine is it? You can go on youtube and find audio of any of them.

My 1 cylinder 1GM10 makes a hell of a sound. I wasn't 100% sure it was normal until I heard another one from across the dock once. I knew instantly they had the same engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to asdf38 For This Useful Post:
willdadd (01-03-2016)
post #10 of 24 Old 01-03-2016

When our 2gm20 fires up it runs for about 30 seconds (haven't put a stop watch on it) then sounds like it loads down. Turns out that is exactly what happens, the alternator starts putting out current around 30 seconds after startup. Ours also has clatter sounds.

Nor'sea 27
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet axe and saw...RUSH

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.