shut valve vs anti syphon valve - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-28-2015 Thread Starter

shut valve vs anti syphon valve

I have a pilot house motor sailor. The engine is fresh water cooled and the anti syphon valve comes up in the pilot house. The exsiting valve leaks to much for my liking and since it is in the pilot house it can be a nuicance. I am considering replacing the anti syphon valve with a shut off valve. So when I turn off the engine I would manually close the intake pipe to prevent accidentally siphoning water into the engine.
Does anyone see a problem with this.
Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-28-2015

Re: shut valve vs anti syphon valve

Yes. At some point you will forget to open or close. Not if --- when. Just fix or replace the anti-siphon valve.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-28-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Been there, done that, have the receipt for the new thermostat.
hellsop likes this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-28-2015
just ducky

Have you just considered getting a new internals or a new anti siphon valve????? One working shouldn't be leaking.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-28-2015
Closet Powerboater

I have a pilothouse motor sailor as well. About 1.5 years ago I had a one time failure of my anti-siphon vent (instead of a valve this is designed to "leak") and now, 1.5 years later and 25K later, I have a nicely rebuilt motor.

Proceeded with extreme caution here.

What kind of boat and motor is it?
Is your engine below the waterline?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-28-2015
Master Mariner

Any decent anti-siphon valve is rebuildable. It cost very little to replace the diaphragm or whatever your use.
I had constant trouble with one, years of leaking and cleaning and/or diaphragm replacement. One day I was staring at it and noticed this great big arrow which indicated the direction of flow. Guess what? It was backwards. We turned it around and haven't had a bit of trouble since.
Just because something was working OK on your boat for a while, don't assume the person who installed it knew what he was doing. I know for a fact that this was done by the 'professional' mechanic at Consolidated, on City Island. Makes one wonder what else Consolidated may have screwed up on the boat that I haven't found yet. Please pass me the Rolaids.
Personally, I would NOT replace the anti-siphon valve with a shut off valve. In an emergency it might cause the loss of the vessel. Just replace it if you can't or don't want to try fixing it. A new one should do just fine.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Last edited by capta; 12-28-2015 at 05:23 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-28-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

I had an anti-siphon valve failure while in the Florida Keys three years ago. Fortunately, I caught it before firing up the engine. I decided to change the oil and noticed it looked like light colored chocolate milk. It was half seawater.

Even after purchasing new valve, it still failed to function properly. I ended up modifying the valve spring, making it lighter, and that solved the problem. I don't trust myself to close valve as soon as the engine is shut down, or open it when I fire the engine up.

All the best,

Gary
post #8 of 18 Old 12-28-2015

Had the engine manufacturer specified and supplied anti-syphon valve fail flooding the engine. Replaced the valve after rebuilding the engine and it failed again. Luckily only had to flush the engine out with the second failure.

Fixed the problem by removing the valve in the anti-syphon 'U', screwing on a 1/4" hose barb, ran the hose as far up the hull as I could and then to a through hull in the rub rail. Fixed the problem permanently, no valve to fail. The through hull only very occasionally dripped water and was not a problem staining the hull.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-28-2015

Suggestion: Repair or replace / upgrade your anti-siphon valve, etc. If the engine is installed close to or below the water line then consider a heat riser exhaust stack to prevent the possibility of 'back flow'.

The problem with shut off valves in the exhaust system is the extremely corrosive nature of exhaust gases .... and jammed/frozen and always inoperable shut off valves, usually 'frozen' in the open position. Of course, such a valve made from sulphuric/nitric etc. acid compatible metals is a possibility; but, at a humongous cost. ;-)
post #10 of 18 Old 12-29-2015
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Had the engine manufacturer specified and supplied anti-syphon valve fail flooding the engine. Replaced the valve after rebuilding the engine and it failed again. Luckily only had to flush the engine out with the second failure.

Fixed the problem by removing the valve in the anti-syphon 'U', screwing on a 1/4" hose barb, ran the hose as far up the hull as I could and then to a through hull in the rub rail. Fixed the problem permanently, no valve to fail. The through hull only very occasionally dripped water and was not a problem staining the hull.
Sounds like a great idea.... until a wasp makes a nest in your rub rail outlet hole. Then voila! Siphon!

Ask me how I know. :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.