SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Oil from engine exhaust.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Capt Len 
#1 ·
My boat has a Yanmar 8HP 1GM10, pretty great condition and up until now i would swear this engine is bulletproof. Recently i noticed that after starting, the engine spit out a black discharge from the exhaust for about the first 5 - 10 seconds of running. After that, it goes away and doesn't re-occur until i restart the engine after it has cooled. I understand that diesel engines are rather inefficient and sometimes expel un-burnt fuel and such out their exhaust. I guess what i am wondering is, If this is normal why would it just start to get worse now? If this is not normal, what would cause this?

Thanks in advance...

:captain:

#3 ·
Black is inadequate fuel burn. Either caused by too much fuel, or too little air or poor combustion.

Some random thoughts.....How clean is your air filter? That's the first and easiest thing to check. A bad spray pattern from dirty injectors could cause poor combustion. Does your motor have a glow plug and is it working?

#7 · (Edited)
Black is inadequate fuel burn. Either caused by too much fuel, or too little air or poor combustion.
....... OR, COLD combustion chamber. The relatively high thermodynamic efficiency of a diesel engine is dependent primarily TWO things: high pressure (compression) AND relatively high temperature of the combustion chamber.
If the black smoke is not noticed after the engine is fully warmed, you're probably 'over-fueling' (via too much 'throttle') a COLD engine.

That stated, check the condition of your fuel injector .... first!
Any 'injector shop' can evaluate it for you. Any 'large' town in the US typically has at least one 'injector shop'.

#4 ·
the 1GM10 has no glow plug it has a pre combustion chamber. if the injector is worn and leaking by fuel will accumulate in the chamber and cause the black smoke on cold start.. best to just change the injector with a new one. a new one is $100 and a rebuilt one is around $80

Reactions: Minnewaska
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.