• 2 Post By Faster
  • 2 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By NCboatrx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Worried about possibly hydrolocking my engine

All,

After replacing a Racor filter I forgot to open the fuel valve on the tank and started cranking the engine.

I realized what I did right away and opened the valve, but now I'm a bit nervous about trying to start the motor. I cranked the engine for about 15 seconds and I'm worried I could have filled the exhaust with raw seawater.

Note that engine didn't lock or anything, it's just the big plaque mounted in the engine room warning not to crank the engine more than 10 times with the raw water valve open that's making me nervous. It's trying it again that's making me nervous, especially if it doesn't start right away.

My question is do I need to do something to drain the water out of the exhaust system (if there even is any), or will it drain out on its own after a period of time?

Thanks,

Shrimp

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34

Last edited by cshrimpt; 08-31-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Adding some more info
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-31-2016

Re: Worried about possibly hydrolocking my engine

You have compression releases?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-31-2016 Thread Starter
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
You have compression releases?
I edited my original post to make it clearer. The motor isn't locked up or anything, I just want to know if you exceed the maximum recommended cranking limits, is there a waiting period before you can try again, or do I need to do something to make it safe to try again.

Thanks,

Shrimp

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34

post #4 of 10 Old 08-31-2016
Just another Moderator

15 seconds should be no problem. Prolonged cranking of a minute or more might move enough water to be worrisome depending on the configuration and volume of your exhaust system. Most probably need more that that.

I'd get the engine running asap to blow any residual water out. If you're worried about it, close the raw water intake until it fires up.
RichH and capta like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 10 Old 08-31-2016
Master Mariner

I think you may need to bleed the engine. Starters are not designed for prolonged operation.
Check that the Racor is still full to the top. If not refill it, then bleed the system by hand before cranking any more. It's always nice to have an electric fuel pump in the line for situations like this.
bigdogandy and RTB like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-01-2016

Capta and Faster have it right (but what do I know...)

I'd try a start with the inlet water valve closed. If it doesn't start, bleed it and then try to start. Once it starts open up that valve pronto. I'd assume you have water in the impeller housing that would prevent the impeller from destroying itself in the 30 secs between start and open.

I worry about this a bit but when I stop and think about it, the water pump really doesn't pump that much water when cranking. The RPMs are waaaay low. Likely have a minute or two. But turning it off after a bit of cranking to me would be prudent.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-01-2016

Drain the waterlock muffler before trying to start the engine.
Capt Len likes this.

Stanley,
Marine Diesel Engine Vendor
post #8 of 10 Old 09-01-2016
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
Drain the waterlock muffler before trying to start the engine.
Not necessary. Just shut the seawater inlet off until the engine starts.

Also don't monkey around bleeding anything unless you can see air in the system. Cranking with the valve shut will just cause low pressure in the fuel supply pipes and filters. No air can be drawn in unless there is a leak.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-01-2016

When we first splashed Abigail we tried for a couple hours to get the motor going (ended up needing to re-build the injectors) and never had an issue with the sea water getting into the engine. We probably cranked it every ten minutes or so over those hours. But your water discharge system may be different so that is basically anecdotal.

Here is what I do when I worry about the possibility of water being in the engine (had it happen once). If the engine is cold, then I just give the starter a bump (without allowing the spark plugs to warm up) and if it goes a turn then and a half, then it is highly unlikely there is any water in there. Otherwise it would just stop.

Now that is a risky proposition because if there is water in there and it just happens to be warm enough to start, you might just ruin your day. So if something happens where I have this sneaky suspicion where there might be some water that made it into the engine, I simply get out a wrench and turn the crankshaft several times. If I can turn it with my hand...no water. Invariably, if you have water in the engine, this is the way you get it out anyway...so might as well have the wrench handy.

As a rule though, I always 'tap' the ignition and let it crank a turn or two every time I start. That way I never try to start an engine that may not be ready for it. Of course this doesn't work if the motor was just recently ran, but will prevent you from full cranking the engine after sitting a bit just in case water did get in.

~Chris

All sailors are cruisers, but not all cruisers are sailors. A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Also try:

(it's new!)
post #10 of 10 Old 09-01-2016
Learning the HARD way...

15 seconds of cranking should NOT cause your engine to come close to hydrolock, unless there is some other issue (like a plugged anti-siphon loop air [duckbill] valve). However, if you're really concerned, you should be able to remove the drain plug on your waterlift muffler, and let the water run out. Then it would be as if you never had cranked the engine or added any water in the muffler at all.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.