Perkins 4.108 surging at idle - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-15-2016 Thread Starter

Perkins 4.108 surging at idle

Hi all,

This engine starts fine but immediately goes to very high revs. The only solution is to shut it down immediately.

What happened before:

I recently replaced primary and secondary fuel filters and engine oil.
The engine started fine and then after a few minutes started reving and died.

I proceeded to bleed the system and check all lines for signs of an air leak since the engine wouldn't turn on at all. After a long troubleshoot and many bleeds I got it started but this time it goes to very high revs and won't idle.

At that point I called a mechanic which pointed that it's an issue with the injection pump. We pulled the pump and took it for servicing. Now the serviced pump is back and the engine keeps on doing exactly the same thing. Last thing I did was to hook a clean fuel tank directly to the lift pump inlet. Nothing yet!

I'm running out of ideas, anyone?
Thanks in advance.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-15-2016
al brazzi

Re: Perkins 4.108 surging at idle

Did you do all the work yourself with the mechanics recommendation. Sometimes its best to have them do the work at least if that doesn't fix the issue there is some dialog. Being a mechanical guy myself there is a distinction between work and advice, and that can work for or against you if you know what I mean.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-15-2016 Thread Starter

I did the filter portion and the first bleeding. The work related to the fuel pump was done by a mechanic.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-15-2016

When you replaced the engine oil, did it look normal?
Some ideas to check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 13 Old 09-15-2016
Senior Moment Member

Not to be too obvious but have you checked your throttle cable to be sure it's releasing all the way? Is the return spring still "springy" and not stretched?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-16-2016 Thread Starter

Engine oil looked normal and the throttle cable seems to be working fine.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-16-2016
Master Mariner

Way too many "mechanics" these days are just 'parts changers', without any real knowledge or experience at identifying a problem. They just keep changing (or in this case rebuilding) parts until they get lucky, at the customer's expense.
I would call Transatlantic Diesel in Va. (Google TAD) and see if you can get one of their engineers to point you in the right direction. Once you have that, call this "mechanic" back and tell him he didn't solve your problem and either do so or refund your money.
It does sound like an injection pump issue to me, IF your cables are not at fault, so perhaps it didn't get properly repaired at all. But take your manual, or any pics of a 4.108 and see if you can see any discrepancies in the connections.
I once had an mechanic hook up an injection pump backwards after a rebuild, attaching the fuel feed to the return and vice versa, but he could be forgiven as they were experimental Mercedes engines and whoever mimeographed the temporary manual, put that particular pic on the page backwards. That one caused a lot of consternation on both sides of the Atlantic for a couple of weeks before someone realized that the pic was backwards. Small thing; huge, expensive problem.
Good luck with yours.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-16-2016

Sounds a bit like the problem auto engines can have when the carb linkage over centers and works backward at high revs till shut down if you're quick. Not a likely but but easy enough to cross of the list. Once saw a Detoit D stick its governor shaft . Wasn't pretty. Sucking air at the filter or pump ??
post #9 of 13 Old 09-17-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
When you replaced the engine oil, did it look normal?
Some ideas to check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway
The detroit GM Diesels on our charter Boats had a remote control trap could you could pull to shut off the air supply I never had to deploy but it was the only way to shut the Motor off in a true overrun. If the OPs Perkins can be shut down by the fuel then I think this can be ruled out, but it is a real problem though you need to talk to a LOT of people to find someone it has happen to.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-17-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulopinto View Post
I did the filter portion and the first bleeding. The work related to the fuel pump was done by a mechanic.
That's good if he can't sort it out get another mechanic. The part is the problem if you deal with a top notch shop they have ways of handling that but costs more by the hour for that service.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.