SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Westerbeke 40 Air FIlter or Air Silencer ?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ericirvine 
#1 ·
I never replaced my air filter. Looking at the manual, they say : most units have an air silencer that do not require servicing.
Does mine looks like it ?
that's the mushroom next to the racor.

Thanks !

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know your engine, but a number of marine diesels have no air filter, just a "silencer" that is supposed to channel the airflow so it reduces the noise and improves airflow efficiency a bit.

The logic is that since it is in the marine environment, there will be no dirt or dust in the air, so there's no need to filter it out, which restricts the airflow and engine performance.

If there are optional air filters available, you can do an oil analysis for about $25 to find out if there is excess silicon (coming from sand and dust grit normally) in your oil, which would indicate a filter could be useful.

If you take the "mushroom" off and the engine seems louder, you'll know why they still put a silencer on the intake.(G)

#6 ·
Looks like a screen/silencer to me; I don't see the need for a paper or foam filter in a boat anyhow.

#4 ·
If you take the silencer off while the engine is running, do you notice a significant reduction in noise?

I have a W30 (aka Four- 91) which has a surface-mounted oval shaped air filter, not a silencer. A cast iron air intake silencer used to be available, but is no longer made and not available from any dealers or Westerbeke for this model engine.

I have been trying to figure out how to fit an off the shelf air silencer to the engine, but the hole is a 5" x 1" slot, and most such silencers are attached with a threaded pipe.

If there is not a significant reduction in noise, it may not be worth messing with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.