SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Exaust Mixing Elbow

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
I need one for the Perkins 4-154 in my 41' Morgan OI.
The one on there now is an OCSO and has sprang a leak from what looks like a bad casting. I cleaned out the hole and packed it with JB Weld, that lasted about 15 minutes.
I'm having trouble finding a replacement or even a part number online I've seen reference to a different brand "Barr" but I cant seam to find that either.

What do Y'all do for these.

I suppose I should mention I'm in Oriental NC.

Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like the manifold casting is threaded for the elbow.. You could easily make your own out of standard pipe fittings. It will be a bit bulkier perhaps, and you could choose to use black iron or SS. Either way it will cost less than OEM (assuming you can find one) and last for years.

#3 ·
If the casting will come off the nipple or the nipple out of the cast adapter ,easy to build from pipe fittings. Black iron lasts long enough to be cost effective.If the end plate has to come off the manifold for rewelding it got a bit more complicate but doable. I usually use SS for the last downward nipple and weld in a SS 1/2" nipple at angle to take the cooling water .Looking for the discharge to extend in so water impacts the rubber hose .Hot salt water will cut any metal pretty quick .Wrap the hot bits with fg rope and tape .Paint the whole show with water glass (aluminium silicate) Ask at wood stove store

#7 ·
#10 ·
If you are going to go to the trouble of welding or brazing maybe just butt weld the elbows together.no short nipples, Angles better be right but makes a neater more compact unit .Just the first short to the manifold and the last long down nipple are threaded. If you need height, a45 up and 2 to angle to hose is better than 90's for backpressure

#12 ·
Instead of JB weld, that you need to leave cure for 24 hours BTW, use extrem high temp epoxy. Good till 400 degrees, make sure you rough out the metal before hand. Also, if you can find a piece of metal (bolt, metal sheet, something, to fill the hole then epoxy in place. JB weld doesn't do for high temps. But a lot of epoxies do

#14 · (Edited)
The OSCO wasn't worth fixing the backside looked worse than the front and it is about a third stopped up with what looked like Bondo?

No luck finding one, well I did find an aluminum one but that just don't sound right.

I don't have enough tools with me to do the job right so I'm having the welder at Sailcraft build me one out of stainless.

Thanks for the replies guys.

#16 ·
Good on ya...

Thanks for the follow up. Got it pretty quick, too!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.