Don't go easy with that diesel.. - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By aa3jy
  • 1 Post By HUGOSALT
  • 1 Post By Don0190

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Don't go easy with that diesel..

Been told numerous times don't go easy with that diesel..

http://www.proboat.com/2015/02/why-y...y-on-a-diesel/
capta likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Don't go easy with that diesel..

Have lived by "Run her hard" since my Yanmar 3 GM was new 31..err 32 years ago.
Change oil/filters early and often.
Often, after extended motoring, I will bring motor to max rpm for minute or so,
and then always idle for while to cool motor down before shutting down.
Original injectors.
Original mixing elbow (check every year and can't believe)
Do a proper flush with Rydlyme every few years, as is raw water cooled.
Exhaust manifold looks new.
And starts without much fuss with my early winter 30-40 degree sailing.
seabeau likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago

During a day-long diesel class provided by Mack Boring, we were told that sailboaters need to run their diesels long enough to bring them up to temperature. Since that doesn't seem to happen every time a sailboat is used, the recommendation was to--every once in a while--deliberately run the motor for a couple of hours under load. "Run it like a powerboat!"

Power boaters typically don't have this issue of short run times.

post #4 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Barquito

It does seem, from the article, that you don't need to run it too long at higher power settings to gain the benefit. I think Mr. D'Antonio said 15 minutes for every 4 hours of operation. He said to run it at 75% power setting during this 15 minutes.

Valiant 32
post #5 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
It does seem, from the article, that you don't need to run it too long at higher power settings to gain the benefit. I think Mr. D'Antonio said 15 minutes for every 4 hours of operation. He said to run it at 75% power setting during this 15 minutes.
That wouldn't be my take-away from what the author said. At that point, he was talking about power boats that can plane, being operated in an underloaded condition. An example would be a 27ft. Ranger Tug that can plane it's semi-displacement hull with it's 220 horse Volvo diesel, but the operator wants to save fuel by going 7 knots and running with the throttle barely open. If your vessel is grossly overpowered for slow speeds, then at a minimum, you should get her up on plane and put a load on it for a portion of your time.

A 30 foot sailboat with a 20 horse diesel is something else, entirely. If the diesel can provide 6.8 knots at 75% throttle, but the owner wants to save fuel by running at 50% throttle for 5.2 knots, that's an underloaded situation and is easily avoided entirely by just going 1.6 knots faster (75% throttle), and still burning very little fuel.

I keep my Universal M-25xp diesel at about 75% of peak rpm whenever possible. The only exceptions are no wake zones, operating in the marina, etc.. My engine peaks at 3100 rpm, so 75% throttle is just shy of 2400 rpm, so that's about where I keep her whenever possible.

Main take-way from the article? Run that sucker. It's good for it.
post #6 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Old biker say'n..."Run it like you stole it.."
post #7 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
During a day-long diesel class provided by Mack Boring, we were told that sailboaters need to run their diesels long enough to bring them up to temperature. Since that doesn't seem to happen every time a sailboat is used, the recommendation was to--every once in a while--deliberately run the motor for a couple of hours under load. "Run it like a powerboat!"
Absolutely correct ... and its for retardation and partial reversal of internal engine 'rust' - all the cooling passages, including the exhaust manifold, heat exchanger, cylinder head, engine 'block', etc.
Why? Heat soaking the cast iron engine by long term operation will begin to turn the destructive 'red' rust back to a more 'protective' formation of black rust.
Internal rusting of the cast iron is what eventually 'kills' a marine engine. The longer you run the engine at its operating temperature, the better; as then, the red rust turns back to the more 'protective' black form of rust.
post #8 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Cruising at a snail pace

If you are worried about internal engine rust maybe you should use the right antifreeze!

BTW - not running your engine all the time at real low load doesn't mean to instead always run it at real high load. People should read their manuals.
timangiel likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago

My penta MD17D is 32 years old and is not babied at all. It has regular oil changes... and over the years typical maintenance... impellers, belts, hoses, filters and a few pump replacements, new engine mounts... and an alternator upgrade.

Started right up this spring as usual. Probably outlast me... :-)

Last edited by SanderO; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.