Westerbeke self-bleeding fuel system - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By boatpoker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-03-2017 Thread Starter
Barquito

Westerbeke self-bleeding fuel system

I am a complete diesel noob. I had a gas engine in my last boat. I read in my Westerbeke W27 owners manual that the engine is self-bleeding. Have you all found that this is sufficient to get air out of the lines (such as after changing filters)? If it is, it kind of begs the question, 'why aren't all diesels self-bleeding'? Is there a down-side to this feature?

Valiant 32
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-03-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Westerbeke self-bleeding fuel system

I have only seen self-bleeding systems on Universal and Beta Marine Diesels. These systems work with an electric lift pump, and requires the pump to push sufficient fuel volume to supply the injector pump, and the return lines to the injectors. Other than the requirement of a functioning electric lift pump, I see no downside. I have seen self-bleeding systems that were "always-on" in that there was no operator intervention required, and have seen them where the operator had to open a bleed valve to enable the self-bleeding to take place. I have one with the bleed screw on my Universal M25.

Why don't other manufacturers do this? it may have to do with the pressure required on the inlet side of the high pressure (injector) pump. IMHO this should not be an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-03-2017
Dirt Free

Re: Westerbeke self-bleeding fuel system

The Westerbeke system works very well but it is an electric pump. Highly recommend you carry a spare. As long as you get the fuel filter gasket seated properly you should have no problems bleeding.

Westerbeke do not make diesels, they simply buy them and marinize them then paint them red. With a little help from google you can find out what make your engine actually is and buy much less expensive parts. i.e. My Westie is a 55hp Mitsubishi.

Get the part number off the electric fuel pump and buy one at any auto parts store for 1/5 the price from Westerbeke.

This may help Diesels For Noobs
eherlihy and Barquito like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 04-03-2017 at 12:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (04-03-2017)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.