gas station diesel - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

gas station diesel

My dock does not have a diesel pump. Is the gas station diesel the same as you would get at a dock? Thanks
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago
Master Mariner

Re: gas station diesel

Pretty much the same stuff, give or take a few additives. Taxes are higher of course, on road diesel.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Pretty much the same stuff, give or take a few additives. Taxes are higher of course, on road diesel.
Really? I suppose it depends on where you are. Our marina diesel costs a lot more than that at local gas stations.

Diesels are not too particular about what they feed on. Only thing I would do, is add a diesel treatment like Biobar if fuel will sit in tank for any length of time. https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=3779

post #4 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Taxes are higher of course, on road diesel.
I hear this every time this topic comes up but have never actually seen it translate into lower prices for marine diesel in the wild. Marina pump prices are almost always within a few cents of landlubber fuel stations at best, and considerably higher at worst. Has to come down to volume canceling out the tax savings. The truck stop near my marina probably sells more road diesel in a day than the nearest fuel dock sells in a month.
post #5 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago

Marina gas/diesel is ALWAYS higher than the corner fuel stations, usually quite a bit higher. But others are right, when you buy marina diesel, you are paying less in taxes.

Catalina 34
post #6 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago

The OP does not have a bio -- no location and no boat.
Kind of presume that it might be sailboat, tho. Hope he "uncloaks" and puts this info in.

If buying diesel in my sailing area, northern Oregon, we look for a source of "off road" diesel, preferably from a marine fuel dock. Price is usually higher than vehicle-intended fuels, but then there is very little sales volume in comparison. Local fuel dock owner tells us that obtaining "straight diesel" is getting more difficult each year and one of these years he (and everyone else in our geographic area) may not have an affordable source. (sigh...)

The other (big) reason is that the formulation is different - less additives.
Unlike your vehicle, that will use up fuel rapidly, the various chemicals in diesel fuel can theoretically have time to settle out when your boat is parked for six months a year. While I doubt that the contents of the tank really look like a petroleum version of a "tequila sunrise" after time passes, I have no interest in testing that theory.

I do add Biobor at each fill up, altho if on delivery and we are going to use up the tank in a day or three I skip that additive.

All risks are relative, so I worry more about getting some water in my delivered fuel than the exact blend of diesel.

Last edited by olson34; 6 Days Ago at 11:24 AM.
post #7 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago

As a point of further discussion by us board of experts , what are our thoughts about the use of "stove (heating oil) especially in older tech diesels. ? Adding lube oil to fuel ?
post #8 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago

Road diesel is dyed yellow and when you buy it you are paying road taxes

Marine Diesel (I suppose more accurate is "off road diesel") is dyed red. You are not paying any "road taxes" when you buy it, but I find it's usually more expensive anyway.

Some terrestrial gas stations near me have a separate diesel pump with "off road" diesel, intended for boats and "off road only" vehicles. no taxes added and its cheaper than their "road diesel".

I'd say that it's more important to get fresh. clean fuel than to save a few bucks. I used to be at a marina that had a sketchy fuel dock. Back then I would fill up from Jerry cans with "road diesel". Now I have easy access to a fuel dock with pretty high turnover so I fill up there.
Barquito likes this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #9 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago

One difference is that marine diesel is dyed while the fuel from the local service station is not. The other is that many marine fuels have special additives that the other will not. Not a big issue if you add them yourself. Here's what ValvTect says about their marine diesel fuel.

"ValvTect Marine Premium Diesel contains BioGuard micro-biocide and is formulated to keep the fuel free of bacteria, fungi and algae that plug fuel filters, cause corrosion and can shut the engine down. ValvTect Marine Premium Diesel also contains ValvTect's Diesel Guard Heavy Duty Marine Diesel Additive, which prevents and cleans up injector deposits that cause loss of power and poor fuel economy. Fuel economy tests indicate improved fuel economy up to 13.6%. ValvTect Marine Premium Diesel also contains cetane improver, fuel stabilizer, lubricity improvers and moisture dispersant that prevents wear, prevents sludge and significantly extends the life of fuel filters."

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #10 of 28 Old 6 Days Ago

Advertising hype, they all do it, the diesel auto/truck brands claim the same type of additives to make your engine last longer and run better and get better fuel economy.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.