How to Remove a Prop Shaft from Transmission - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

How to Remove a Prop Shaft from Transmission

Hey Everyone, what do you think is the best way to remove this prop shaft from this flexible coupler? The transmission is a Hurth HBW 150 V and the coupler is a federal marine flexible coupling. It appears to be a press fit with a keyed shaft and 2 set screws holding it in. I'm leaning towards using a 3 jaw puller to drive it out by grabbing the back of the flexible coupling. My concern though is damaging the rubber internals of the coupler, however I see no other way to get it out. I have seen posts where people talk of using slide hammers, but I think that would be terribly damaging to the gears and bearings of the transmission.

Any thoughts on how to pull the shaft? For reassembly, do you have any ideas of how to get that shaft back in the transmission since it is such a tight fit?
Attached Thumbnails
Prop Shaft.jpg  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 4 Days Ago

Re: How to Remove a Prop Shaft from Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsnyder83 View Post
Hey Everyone, what do you think is the best way to remove this prop shaft from this flexible coupler? The transmission is a Hurth HBW 150 V and the coupler is a federal marine flexible coupling. It appears to be a press fit with a keyed shaft and 2 set screws holding it in. I'm leaning towards using a 3 jaw puller to drive it out by grabbing the back of the flexible coupling. My concern though is damaging the rubber internals of the coupler, however I see no other way to get it out. I have seen posts where people talk of using slide hammers, but I think that would be terribly damaging to the gears and bearings of the transmission.

Any thoughts on how to pull the shaft? For reassembly, do you have any ideas of how to get that shaft back in the transmission since it is such a tight fit?

If this is a v-drive pull the prop and the remove the shaft & coupling by pulling it forward into the boat.. One of the big benefits of a well implemented v-drive is the ability to remove the shaft with the coupling still on it. I have A v-drive as well and can have our shaft out of the boat in under 10 minutes start to finish....
RichH likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 4 Days Ago at 05:34 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 3 Days Ago
Just another Moderator

http://www.federalmarinetransmissions.com/100101.html

There's a cutaway picture of what that coupling looks like in the link.

If there's no cabin furniture in the way, pulling the shaft into the boat as MS suggests is the ticket. Completely avoids any issues you may have with the rudder going the other way.

What exactly is the job to be done?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 5 Old 3 Days Ago

Definitely avoid the use of a slide hammer. Pretty good way to damage the transmission.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 5 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Well today was eventful.... I attempted to pull the transmission out with the prop shaft but I did not have the clearance in the cabin to get it out, the shaft is fairly long. I ended up getting a 3 jaw puller and driving the shaft out of the coupling (it was one of those moments where I was questioning how much money I was costing myself in repairs with each turn of the ratchet on the 3 jaw puller). The shaft was in there really, really tight so I'm concerned about how to get it back together. I'm hoping it will slide into the transmission easier without the key inserted, and then I can insert the key once the shaft is seated.

As to why I'm pulling the transmission and prop shaft, the engine has to come out to go to the shop. It's been sitting for a couple of years without running and the rings are not seating which is resulting in very low compression. Try as I might with lubricating oils, a special carbon eating fluid, and many attempts to free up the rings, the engine just will not come back to life. It's on a pallet now waiting to go into the shop in the morning.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.