Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009

weinie is on a distinguished road
Diesel engine newbie question...

About to purchase a 27' boat w/ a late 80's diesel engine.
I have had enough experience w/ gas powerboat engines (i/o's mostly),but i am not familiar w/ diesels.

What is the procedure to start and maintain a diesel engine? Is there a good detailed web site out there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Best bet is to go by the maintenance manuel.
But if you don't have one then change Lube at the end of the sailing season or every 250 hours also change out the coolant once a year (end of season)
The reason for the end of season change out is because as your boat sits on the hard the solids settle out and you have a gunk build up. Be sure that you have just ran the engine for a half hour to have those solids and LO well mixed then change the oil.
While you have the engine compartment open check all of your electrical connections for corrosion and failing connectors. Do check the battery also.
Proper maintenance and your engine should last your a life time. Check the coolant zincs also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 06-03-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
The basic difference is that there is no electric ignition system on a diesel (although the new ones have a lot of electronic controls). Diesels are very fussy about having clean fuel because it is injected at very high pressures through very small orifices, which means changing the fuel filters often (follow manufacturers recs). On a used boat it's usually a good idea to have the fuel tanks "polished" before using the boat if it has been sitting for any length of time. Bacteria can grow in diesel and it will clog filters and injectors (always at the most inconvenient times). Buy Nigel Calder's book "Marine Diesel Engines", it's a good reference and covers almost everything you need to know (his other books are excellent too BTW).

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-03-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Check out the diesel engine classes for sailors at Mack Boring, several locations in the US.

The good news is that diesels don't have carbs or ignition systems. The bad news is that they have damn finicky high pressure fuel injection systems, which can be just as problematic if air gets into the lines or the fuel is contaminated, and fuel tanks will breed problems all by themselves.

You'll see plenty about that by using the search engine in this and other forums. Diesels are neither better nor worse, just different. Except, of course, to some of us they simply stink all the time. I've never met one that I couldn't smell, and I can't stand the smell of them.
Old 06-04-2009

PlanetDan is on a distinguished road
make sure you keep the fuel clean. I like to use additives to preserve the fuel and remove water.
Old 06-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Going to move this thread to Gear and Maint Diesel forum.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-09-2009

helpyours is on a distinguished road
That Is Great!!!

Old 06-22-2009

rchad is on a distinguished road
diesel newbie

I've learned lots from the Nigel Caulder "Marine Diesel Engines", and from Charlie Wing's "How Boat Things Work". Great advice on maintaining and troubleshooting.
Old 07-06-2009

davewild is on a distinguished road
I am a newbie to diesels myself but I find that mine is difficult to start when cold if batteries are low on charge. Once warm the horrible thing starts fine.
Old 07-06-2009

dsavlin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewild View Post
I am a newbie to diesels myself but I find that mine is difficult to start when cold if batteries are low on charge. Once warm the horrible thing starts fine.
For this reason and others, we dedicate each of our batteries as "House" and "Starting" and label the battery switch accordingly. This way we can assure ourselves of a fully charged battery to start the engine with. After starting the engine, we throw the battery selector to "All" to charge both. When the engine is shut down, we have only the "House" battery selected.

Glow plugs and starter motors both take a LOT of power. And if it's cold out, you want to keep the glow plugs glowing for longer before cranking, taking even more juice. And batteries don't like providing a lot of juice when cold. It all adds up