How Cool is this! Tell us how much you love/hate your engine - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
great to know CP! I have a "normal" diesel!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2009

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I love my Yanmar 2GM20F. Was a love/hate relationship 2 years back. Love when it ran, hate it when it got problem. Now its love all the way (touch wood).
Old 06-06-2009
An Aussie Sailor

Mipcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
Yanmar 2QM15. Easy to work on, getting on in yrs so uses a bit of oil. Wish I could make it run smoother but reliable old donk.

Mychael
Old 06-06-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
my 5416 is 2 cylinder.. and it rocks da boat! there is only 2 speeds that it runs smooth. Slightly fast I guess about 1500 rpm and at full bore. In or out of gear it rocks. Not quite the African queen but she chug a chugs!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Perkins 4-107 just chugged us hundreds of miles. Love it. (and I don't like engines)
Old 06-06-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I love my Yanmar 30's. They can spin me within my boat's length. Feed my batteries electricity at times. Get me in, and out of tight spots, and sometimes difficult spotstoo! When there's no wind they can at times move me at 8 knots while using only 3/4 of a gallon divided between them. That's not bad for moving a 1000sq. ft. deck space floating home. I can only imagine the difficulties of moving Imagine with no motors......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 06-09-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Repowered

When I bought my boat 12 years ago it had an old Volvo MD17C that was raw water cooled as, I believe, all the older Volvos are. It was cranky, noisy and leaked oil constantly. After putting up with it for a few years I took her into my boatyard, at the time, to get the leak fixed and came away with a rebuilt engine and a considerably lighter wallet but that's another story. The next summer the engine failed when one of the heads filled the cylinder with water (the joy of raw water cooling). After some fighting with the boat yard I repowered with a new Beta 37. I did the work myself. That was three years ago and since then I've put 800 hours on the engine. It is extremely quiet and smooth and sips 0.5 gallons per hour at my cruising speed of 6.5 knots. The Beta is a marinized Kubota so parts are available lots of places and are not marine prices but farm prices which is considerably less.

I LOVE MY BETA!

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 06-09-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

Dwayne, there's a guy in my YC who is tinkering all the time with his Volvo. it's a "one lunger" in a erricson 27. He seems to have it running great finally.
Kubota.. I've a Universal 5416 also kubota based but about 100lbs heavier! the new beta's are/would be my choice also.

my current "project"!
Old 06-09-2009
An Aussie Sailor

Mipcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
What about Nanni

What's the opinion on them? Anyone got one, used one?

Mychael
Old 06-09-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I have 4,450 hours on my year 2000 Yanmar 4jh3e. Except for scheduled maintenance my only task has been to replace the oil sensor. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew