Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009

dwayne908 is on a distinguished road
Volvo Penta 2002 18 hp - turn key, Nothing!

Turned the key to start the above engine, alarm lights came on as usual, but when turned to start, nothing: no click like with a dead battery, no starting cranking, just nothing. Turned the key back to off, tried again, and it started right up.

Shrugged it off and went sailing. End of the day, go to start the engine, and same thing happens. This time, repeated attempts to start the engine fail. I check to make sure battery levels are good, battery contacts are clean, engine is not in gear, plenty of fuel, re-do the start-up steps a half dozen times all with same result.

I figure maybe corrosion in the brushes of the key switch or a loose wire behind the starter panel. I get behind it, don't see anything obviously wrong, so try to pull the starter panel. Spend 30 minutes or so trying to do that and am in the process of trying pry it free from the adheasive silicone its mounted in. Before I really get into that, and because darkness is failing and I'm thinking maybe I'll just test out that full towing package I pay for or test my skills sailing into the slip, I give the key one more hail mairy turn, and it starts right up.

I thank Neptune, put away the tow card, and head into the slip. I try to recreate the problem once in the slip: I let the engine sit a while, and start it up. I do this 4 or 5 times and each time it starts no problem.

So, I don't know why it wouldn't start, I don't know what the problem is, and I don't know what I did, if anything to fix it. Not sure how to trouble shoot it, or what it might be. Starter going bad maybe? Ideas and suggestions anyone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I would check the negative battery connection(s) and the ground from the engine. Even if they look clean take them off and clean them. Tough thing to track down if it's intermittent, it could be a bad connection in the solenoid wire and that's pretty easy to check (usually). Good luck.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-19-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
I agree with John - sounds like a bad connection somewhere. I would remove, clean and replace all the connections in the starter circuit, especially the batteries and solenoid.

It could also be a faulty solenoid.....

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 06-20-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
I haven't worked on, or did this in years, since working on my own cars / engines in my late teens, etc. But, in an emergency situation, similar to the OP's engine not turning over, is it not possible to try to short out the solenoid, or bypass the keyswitch, etc in order to see if it will turn over. Of course, if there are larger electrical issues, this may not work.

I would be interested in hearing from someone, knowledgeable about engines, who could descibe any useful procedures (similar to knowing how to jump start a car).
I realize many of us have a manual start option on our diesels. Good luck to anyone who can crank hard / fast enough to turn theirs over. I have tried twice, just for fun, on my Yanmar 2GM, without success. If it were life and death, i would have tried harder, but it wasn't worth ruining a shoulder, just to see!
Old 07-08-2009

witzgall is on a distinguished road
I am having issues with our 2002 as well! UGH. It is a really long story, but basically, I now have a remanufactured starter in place, but the only way we can start her is to attach the red wire that energizes the engine panel directly to the positive stud from the battery. Well, that worked for awhile,, but now, the starter either does not turn, or it will spin, not engage the motor, and continues to spin until we disconnect the battery.

The alternator is also not charging. I have removed that and am trying to find a place to test.

The original starter was removed when it would only start in the same way. So I am guessing it is not the starter? OR could both the "NEW" starter, and the old one, both have bad solenoids? Could this be a relay, or ???

Signed,
completely confused.
Chris
Old 07-08-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
If I remember right these old 2000 series engines have a fuse block on the top of them. Check to see if maybe the fuse is shot. If it is just plug the lead into another fuse on the block. Sorry but I can't post on this subject without bad-mouthing the worst engines Volvo ever made. I had a new one (2003) in 88 and put in a 3GM30F after two years!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2009

witzgall is on a distinguished road
Tried the fuse, that is not the issue for me. I know you don't like them, but hey, it is what we have. A new engine is premature, and not an option right now for $$$ reasons. Any other ideas?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If I remember right these old 2000 series engines have a fuse block on the top of them. Check to see if maybe the fuse is shot. If it is just plug the lead into another fuse on the block. Sorry but I can't post on this subject without bad-mouthing the worst engines Volvo ever made. I had a new one (2003) in 88 and put in a 3GM30F after two years!
Old 07-08-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Starter solenoid

Your symptoms are in line with a stuck starter solenoid. Next time this happens tap on it with a hammer a few times and try again. If it works you may be getting close to needing a replacement or rebuild. I wouldn't do it until you have the problem repeatedly. Mine does has done this about once a season for the past three years. A few taps and it's good to go.
Old 07-08-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Witzgall-
" OR could both the "NEW" starter, and the old one, both have bad solenoids? " Could be, but more likely it is a wiring/switch problem and you are not getting power To the starter solenoid.
Stop at any library, any auto repair manual goes over the basics of how to test starters and alternators and they are pretty much all the same for any common car, same for most boats.
Most of the auto chain stores (i.e. Pep Boys, Autozone) will test both the starter and alternator for free if you bring them in--although the staff are often minimum wage and not always the sharpest pencils. If in doubt, let two different places test them for you, and go when the store is not hectic.
Old 07-08-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Sorry - I was replying to the original thread.

Just get a remote start switch. This allows you to take power from the positive lead on the starter and send it to the S terminal on the solenoid.

There are many on the market. Here's one...

Amazon.com: Actron CP7853 Remote Starter Switch: Automotive

If you can do this and it fires right up you know that it's an ignition switch circuit problem. The remote start switch allows you to safely bypass the starting circuit.