Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Oh... the noise, running full throttle

hours and hours of motoring on a windless trip on Chesapeake Bay just makes me want to finally do something about the noise. (it's a universal 5416) At full throttle the boat actually slows down and a slightly slower speed on the engine works better. (no tach ) I think the hull speed is 6.5 mph somtimes the engine can get her to 7, but it just sounds like the tasmainian devil!

I've lots of fiberglass board stock laying around that I can use. (in the ac biz) I know it can be a mold collector but I have enough that I can replace it every few months. The places I plan to put it are the port laz lid, the plywood front of the engine compartment, and the starboard coffin bunk access door. I could also make a sort of bulkhead on the port side between the engine and lazerette.

The good news is, that all the motoring we did this trip (about 40 hrs +) the only problems were fuel filters.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I know you've got material on hand, but the foil-backed foam/lead sound insulation material available makes for a tidy installation, and if you put the silver foil side to the engine box you won't be absorbing spills and fumes so much. It can be glued to panels or hung as a curtain. It also won't be leaving stray fiberglass fines anywhere.

If you do use what you've got, maybe encapsulate it somehow.

btw - one of the most effective sound deadening we've ever used was to drape a dentist's old Xray blanket over the block itself! Just watch you don't block the air intake and keep it free of any moving belts/pulleys.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-29-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
actually the FG board is foil on one side (it's ductboard) I like the xray blanket!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.