SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Removing rust on motor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/56103-removing-rust-motor.html)

L124C 07-11-2009 12:13 PM

Removing rust on motor

My raw water cooled Yanmar developed a gasket leak a while back. I fixed the leak, but the salt water that was running over the top of the motor created surface rust (of course). What the best way to remove the rust so I can repaint the motor?

sww914 07-11-2009 01:19 PM

I've had some luck with CLR, if it's not too bad. If that doesn't work try Shower Power or any of the acid based bathroom cleaners like Edfred.

r.furborough 07-11-2009 10:32 PM

Try using Ospho, it will make the rust inert and ready for paint.

Ospho Rust Treatment - Since 1947

Bellamar 08-30-2009 01:36 PM

Ospho is pretty strong, try FSR first.

Wiley1 08-30-2009 02:05 PM

Here's a product that gets rave reviews from members on another forum that I subscribe to:
Evapo-Rust Rust Remover Home

For large areas and items that cannot be immersed they have had good luck saturating paper towels and applying to the rusty surface. Unfortunately I cannot get it where I live but pass this on as they think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Try your local auto parts store.

Otherwise you can use the old vinegar and lemon juice treatment, same deal, paper towels soaked in the stuff. But wear plastic gloves as it makes your hands stink. And takes a while. And for large items that can be submerged I have had great luck with washing soda/water solution and a battery charger. Just derusted a five foot add on to my mooring chain (1 1/4 inch stud link) using that method.

Bests,
Wiley

Cobalt187 08-30-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiley1 (Post 518371)
Here's a product that gets rave reviews from members on another forum that I subscribe to:
Evapo-Rust Rust Remover Home

For large areas and items that cannot be immersed they have had good luck saturating paper towels and applying to the rusty surface. Unfortunately I cannot get it where I live but pass this on as they think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Try your local auto parts store.

Otherwise you can use the old vinegar and lemon juice treatment, same deal, paper towels soaked in the stuff. But wear plastic gloves as it makes your hands stink. And takes a while. And for large items that can be submerged I have had great luck with washing soda/water solution and a battery charger. Just derusted a five foot add on to my mooring chain (1 1/4 inch stud link) using that method.

Bests,
Wiley

Thanks for the tip Wiley, I've went ahead and ordered some but it isn't cheap. I've got an old Yanmar that hopefully will get some benefit from the product. The previous owner let the zincs go on the engine block and hopefully this does what it says. I'll let you know if it's all that and then some here in a week or so.