Exhaust Steam - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-26-2009 Thread Starter
Exhaust Steam

My boat has a 27hp yanmar hmf and yesterday when I went out I noticed there was steam in the exhaust after the engine ran for about 5 minutes. The engine started and ran fine. The alarm goes off and there is normal water flow coming out of the exhaust at first. I only ran it long enough to get back on the mooring. The engine looked fine visually and the oil was fine. Any ideas?

Last edited by Sixbrothers; 07-26-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2009
Raw water strainer plugged, plugged raw water thru-hull. also loose strainer cap she started suckin' air, raw water pump failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-30-2009
I don't know how much steam you are talking about, but I always notice some steam when the air temperature drops. After all, you're introducing warm, moist air (exhaust) into relatively dry, cold air. Around here (San Francisco), we call that fog! If it's a lot of steam you should have it looked at. Your manual will also give you several possible causes. Funny story; One night, I was motoring and made the mistake of shining a flashlight over the Stearn to check for cooling water. I about gave myself a heart attack! The small amount of steam looks like a LOT of smoke by flashlight!

Last edited by L124C; 07-30-2009 at 01:13 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-06-2009
Maine Member
Raw water flow problem!

I agree with bubb2 - sounds like a raw water flow problem. As bubb2 said, check the raw water system from the suction thru-hull to the exhaust outlet. Also, there is normally an anti-siphon loop in the raw water supply to the wet exhaust. This loop normally has a vacuum breaker at the very top - pull and check that - exhaust soot sometimes plugs these up. Also check the elbow where the raw water is physically injected into the exhaust (follow the hose). This is another spot for exhaust soot and rust to plug the raw water flow. Good luck!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.