Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009

dashman is on a distinguished road
Yanmar Water Pump

I have a 1983 Yanmar 2GM - raw water cooled. I have been told by a mechanic that I am on the verge of needing a new water pump. I put a new impeller in the pump in the spring, he (mechanic) replaced it last week. He also reversed the face plate. He claims it is not pumping enough and the engine is running hot. I have checked in input and it is clean. It appears, to me, that the flow (out of the engine) is good. How can I determine if his assesment is reasonable? I would appreciate any guidance that can be offered. Thank you.
Al
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2009

flatracker is on a distinguished road
There are a couple of different ways

There are a couple of things you can do. Disconnect the exhaust hose, or water line at the mixing elbow, and using a bucket, check how much water is actually pumping through the engine. A Yanmar manual will tell you how much water it should pump. Second is to install a temp guage, which will eliminate any doubt about engine overheating. If you buzzer and sending unit are working properly, you will get the warning buzzer if it's overheating. You should make sure the sending unit is for a raw water cooled engine. Fresh water cooled one is much cooler than the other. There are also other things that will cause it to run too hot. Mixing elbow, which if it has never been changed on that year model motor, should at least be checked. The raw water strainer can easily get stopped up with weeds or crud. Thermostat that is bad, and not opening properly. One thing I strongly recommend, is find out for sure that if is in fact running too hot, and the exact cause, before you start buying parts and pieces. Replacing parts before being sure of the exact problem, can get very expensive, and frustrating.