Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009

flatracker is on a distinguished road
Problem solving

A little info. and maybe enough of it to help someone else in the future. Got hammered last night for the second night in a row. Thunderstorms and high winds, lots a rain. When we anchored up it was dead calm. Any way, I sat and did anchor watch for a couple hours, and figured we were going to hold. No sooner had I went inside, than you guessed it. Anchor drug. Rather than try to reset, decided to run across the bay to more protected waters. Engine will not make any power, will not rev up at all. Anything above 1/3 throttle just makes smoke. Get across the bay into some calmer water at 2 knots. Go to sleep, as it is now midnight, and I'm beat. This morning start trying to figure out what the problem is, but suspect one cylinder isn't firing, or at best very little. Since I had just done major maint. one of the things I wondered about was a valve adjustment, and the possibility I had failed to tighten a lock nut. First problem was to figure out which cylinder is or is not firing. Easy check. Cranked up the engine, and one by one cracked the compression release lever. Sure enough, #2 cylinder ain't working. Pulled the valve cover, and checked the valve clearance on #2. No problem. Next
I did a very scientific compression check. Opened the #@ and #3 compression levers and hand cranked it over. Could hardly pull it past the compression on #1. Now closed #2, opened #1 and tried it again. The compression on #2 felt every bit as good as did #1. So, if a diesel had fuel and compression it should run. Fuel injector. Hopefully. I did have a new injector in my spares, so changed the puppy out. bled it and off it went. Problem solved. Fortunately I had a spare injector, all necessary tools, and a Yanmar manual. Trip is saved.
Old 09-03-2009
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
We had a similar experience last year and it also turned out to be an injector. I replaced both of them with new (Yanmar 2GM) and kept the good old one as a spare. Could have saved a few dollars by rebuilding rather than replacing, but I didn't want to go through the down time. Glad to hear everything worked out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook