SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Which electric fuel pump to add in series on a M5411 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/57835-electric-fuel-pump-add-series-m5411.html)

crofrog 09-08-2009 03:37 PM

Which electric fuel pump to add in series on a M5411

I've got a universal 5411 with the mechanical fuel pump that requires you to crank the motor to bleed the system and it's a huge pita.

i'm trying to figure out what some of the options are available to add in between the racor and the mechanical pump?

JimsCAL 09-08-2009 05:12 PM

You can't put the two pumps in series, but you could put them in parallel so either could operate. If you go to the trouble of adding an electric pump, just bypass the engine driven one and use the electric all the time. Any fuel pump suitable for diesel should be fine. Go with a low capacity as the 5411 is only 11 HP.

Not sure why you seem to be needing to bleed the fuel system so often. Only had to bleed my 5411 once in 20 years.

crofrog 09-08-2009 06:11 PM

I guess you didn't have to change fuel filters very often :confused:

I know their are people on here that are running pumps in series just trying to figure out a part number before I just go buy one and play with it.

Chris

deniseO30 09-08-2009 07:44 PM

facet diesel lift pump solid state Welcome to Motor Components, LLC - retail products
I have the cube but the gold is more like the OEM electric good luck. most auto stores have or can get them

crofrog 09-08-2009 10:07 PM

awesome thanks!

JimsCAL 09-09-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crofrog (Post 520732)
I guess you didn't have to change fuel filters very often :confused:

I know their are people on here that are running pumps in series just trying to figure out a part number before I just go buy one and play with it.

Chris

I change my filters every year. Just fill them with fuel before you put them back together.

The problem with running them in series is that unless both are running, the one stopped can block the fuel flow. Just connect them in parallel and either can supply the fuel.

crofrog 09-09-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 520913)
I change my filters every year. Just fill them with fuel before you put them back together.

The problem with running them in series is that unless both are running, the one stopped can block the fuel flow. Just connect them in parallel and either can supply the fuel.

Well I guess you've had better luck than me not getting air into the high-pressure side. You can draw fuel through an electric pump when it's off, as long as you get one designed to not block the flow, which the facet pump above meets the criteria for.

JimsCAL 09-09-2009 01:20 PM

OK, but are you sure the mechanical pump on the engine won't block the electric pump flow?

crofrog 09-09-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 520976)
OK, but are you sure the mechanical pump on the engine won't block the electric pump flow?

The mechanical pump would be downstream of the electric, with the electric pump living between the RACOR and the primary fuel filter on the engine.

flatracker 09-15-2009 05:42 PM

You can put it in series

It is pretty simple to put the electric pump in series. I have mine mounted near the tank, with an of-off toggle switch. The lift pump will pull through the electric pump, and the electric pump will push fuel through the mechanical pump. I have a Yanmar 3GM, but there should be no difference. I'm with you, I have had to bleed mine several times in the past couple of years, for various reasons. With an electric pump it makes a nearly impossible task on the Yanmar fairly painless.