Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009

Dockdozer is on a distinguished road
Thanks Gary
I am with you with to many filters. I am going to remove the inline filter. How do you know what microns that the engine mounted filter is? I just replaced it with a Yanmar filter, doesn't say. All and all I am going to use a little throttle when I start up. And a diesel guy told me to use a 2 micron filter in the racor, and just change it more often if needed. But the problem was the same with a 30 micron before I changed to a 2 micron.
Thanks Guys!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockdozer View Post
I have a new Yanmar 4Jh4AE. It has just 256 hrs. I have found that you have to use the glow plugs to get her to start every time you start her, or rev her up a little. Is this right? Every other diesel I have had experience with after warmed up will start in a second. Ok I first start of the morning, glow for at least 20 sec, starts right away.(It is in the 80s or 90s) Motor the boat for 45 min to 1hr, to deep water. Engine off sail for 2 or 3 hrs. I reach down and hit the starter and she will start for a few seconds and then die. Now I can glow her again and or sometimes she will still not start until I rev her a little. To me this diesel should be warm for a long time, and not have to use the glow plugs, or the throttle. Now I did talk to a diesel injection guy that said the with the new diesels that are coming out now, that they could be cold natured.
I am not very cold natured, when I reach for the key and she will not start!!!!!!!!
Please help guys!
Dockdozer
To me..

Your loosing fuel prime.. some where there is an air leak and it allowing fuel to return back to the tank leaving the inj pump air ridden requiring the engine to spin longer to " prime back up".. Does it spit and sputter until you give it a bit of throttle and clear up? A little smoke " or it could be a bunch"??

Check any anti back flow devices on or near the fuel pump/or filters.. Change any filters lately? Use a cheaper or different fuel filter? replace any fuel lines? Did not get or dropped the copper gasket off of a fuel through bolt??

Just trying to help.. But this is what i do day after day for 22 years.
Old 09-14-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks Gary
I am with you with to many filters. I am going to remove the inline filter. How do you know what microns that the engine mounted filter is? I just replaced it with a Yanmar filter, doesn't say. All and all I am going to use a little throttle when I start up. And a diesel guy told me to use a 2 micron filter in the racor, and just change it more often if needed. But the problem was the same with a 30 micron before I changed to a 2 micron.
Thanks Guys!!!!!!

Racor filter housings some times have fittings with little check valves in them..
Make sure yours does or fuel will bleed back to the tank.

Last edited by dieselboy; 09-14-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2009

Thanks Dieselboy
Yes I have changed all the filters except the little inline filter close to the engine. All were Yanmar, and racor , racor is the 500 series . The engine starts with the throttle ok and does not spit or sputter and no smoke. I just have never had to use the throttle to start any diesel I have ever had! Check valves is something I need to look into. Should their be a check valve at the filter on the engine. that is the highest spot on the fuel system? Or could I place one their? Dockdozer
Old 09-16-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
....The engine starts with the throttle ok and does not spit or sputter and no smoke. I just have never had to use the throttle to start any diesel I have ever had!
Did you have a chance to consult the operation manual?

As I mentioned earlier, our smaller Yanmar is designed to start with the throttle advanced. If yours is too, then you really don't have a problem and the troubleshooting ends there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-16-2009

John
No some other things have come up and I haven't been able to get back to the boat. And I left the manual. I hope you are right and I missed that in my reading.
Dockdozer
Old 09-17-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Dock

I have the same engine as you that has now got 3600hrs on it. It starts without any glowplug use within the first 2 seconds on the key. Not once - every time. I had a 3GM30 in my previous boat and had the same start performance. So to answer your question - no, Yanmars are not lazy starters.

There must be something else - I reckon Dieselboy is onto it. There is a bleed-back or slight air leak or something. It's not a characteristic of the engine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-17-2009

Thanks Omatako
That is what I thought! John may have something also but I am 80 miles from my boat and cannot get back to it for a week or two. Dieselboy may be on something also, because one time when it would not start right a way, I did bleed the system at the filter on the engine and their was air! So when I can get back to the boat, I am going to read the manual again, and then start looking for air leaks and check valves. So I want to thank you all for the help and I will post back what I find out.
Dockdozer
Old 09-28-2009

Ok Guys
I looked at the manual and it said nothing about throttle at start up. What I thought was a inline filter looks to be a electric fuel pump I think? Their is a wire running out of it. I looked up racor's and they should have check valves in them. I don't see any thing else that looks like a check valve. I checked every hose clamp and seemed a little loose but she still starts the same. Will run for a second or two and then die. Until you use the throttle. I am going to check the in line fuel pump and look for a check valve.
Dockdozer
Old 09-28-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
It sounds like you have an air leak to me. If have tried to find it a few times but can't, how about calling whoever installed it?