Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-11-2009

Dockdozer is on a distinguished road
New Yanmar, hard to start, or just cold natured?

I have a new Yanmar 4Jh4AE. It has just 256 hrs. I have found that you have to use the glow plugs to get her to start every time you start her, or rev her up a little. Is this right? Every other diesel I have had experience with after warmed up will start in a second. Ok I first start of the morning, glow for at least 20 sec, starts right away.(It is in the 80s or 90s) Motor the boat for 45 min to 1hr, to deep water. Engine off sail for 2 or 3 hrs. I reach down and hit the starter and she will start for a few seconds and then die. Now I can glow her again and or sometimes she will still not start until I rev her a little. To me this diesel should be warm for a long time, and not have to use the glow plugs, or the throttle. Now I did talk to a diesel injection guy that said the with the new diesels that are coming out now, that they could be cold natured.
I am not very cold natured, when I reach for the key and she will not start!!!!!!!!
Please help guys!
Dockdozer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Ours is a smaller engine (3 cyl Yanmar) without glow-plugs, but the manual indicates that the throttle should be advance to about 3/4 full throttle when starting.

I would review the starting procedures as described in your owners manual, to see if you are following them exactly. Big diesels can be hard to turn over and glow plugs really help with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-11-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i wonder if its and injector tip issue, ie not atomizing properly.

if you can try to try to start it with wd40, the older stuff if you have it. basicly spray some in the intake as some one else cranks its. this might help narrow it down
Old 09-11-2009

Thanks I will try the WD40. The diesel injector guy told me that the injectors in some of the the new diesels do not flair, or fan, that it is a direct stream. He did not know about the new Yanmar. And in return could make it harder to start.
Old 09-11-2009

Thanks
I did read the manual but don't remember it saying 3/4 throttle. But I will go back and read it again.
Old 09-11-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
I have same engine with 500 hours. Since 0 hours, I just glow for 7 seconds (its warmer here) and crank with no throttle at all. Recently it behaved exactly as you say, and pissed me for 2-3 months. As part of my regular maintenance I went down and drained the water/fuel separator, and found amazingly 1/2 glass of water (note: this separator is the cheap black one, so I can't see through the bowl). To my surprise, engine went back to the original firing behave just after some cranks on that day. I can't correlate, but I'm glad its back to the normal ....
Old 09-11-2009

Negrini
This diesel has done this since day one. I noticed the PO used the throttle to start it. After I got the boat home I changed one of the racor filters witch was a 30 micron and went back with a 2 micron, and it had a very small amount of trash in it, not near a 1/2 a cup. Then I changed the filter on the engine. I also polished the fuel tank the best I could for over an hour, and found very little trash in it. Now I am thinking of the small filter in line before the filter on the engine. Do you have this small filter on yours? It looks to be just a small in line filter. I don't know if this factory or some one added in. I am thinking that the engine has to many filters. Two Racor 500s, that little inline filter, and the filter on the engine.
Old 09-11-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Dock, I don't have it in line, and my system goes one water/fuel separator with filtering, plus the one mounted on engine. Another point you should look for, is there any air leak, or wrong mount on fuel return lines just where it enter the tank, that allow for fuel to drain from the line right on injectors ? That was my initial suspicious as if I re-fire immediately after turn it of, it worked with zero throttle. I was concerned on how low the tank was mounted, sifoning the fuel line back. luckly it fixed after that draining.
Old 09-12-2009
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
The 2GM20 likes 1/2 throttle and a quick crank to fire up in the summer. In the winter she likes 3/4 throttle and about 3-5 seconds till she fires. We sail all year even in the cold of winter. In the winter season we just re-antifreeze the engine after an outing.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 09-12-2009

Gary M is on a distinguished road
You may have too many filters. The mechanical pumps only put out about 3-4 psi and each filter causes a pressure drop, however I would think this would show up at higher RPMs. Also if you have a 2 micron as your primary that will have a larger pressure drop than a 20 micron.

In my opinion you just need two filters, the primary of 20 microns and then the secondary, which with my Yanmar is mounted on the engine, and it is a 2 micron. Anymore is over kill. Some people mount two primaries in parrallel so they can swing between them if one gets fouled while running.

My older 2GM starts first crank every time and it does not have glow plugs but I do give it half throttle.

Good Luck
Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.