Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009

argofred is on a distinguished road
replacing rear main oil seal universal 5424

Dear Sailnet: Anyone know whether the rear main oil seal on my Universal diesel is replaced by dropping the pan and crank or from the rear of the engine? After chugging along for 27 years without a drop in the pan it has stated to leak. Only a couple of teaspoons after 15 hours of use but I anticipate it may get worse in the future. Thanks! Fred
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
What makes you assume it's the rear main seal? Is it dripping from the weep hole in the bell housing? It could just be an oil pan leak.

The rear main on most all engines is removed off the output end of the crank with the flywheel, & sometimes bell housing, removed. If you do this be very careful to NOT scratch or mar the crank shaft in any way where it meets the rear mains bearing seal surface..

General Instructions:

Remove gear box:

Remove damper plate (you should use an impact driver and a mini butane torch for heat as many damper plate bolts are put in with red Loctite):

Remove flywheel; many times easier said than done due to moisture and the resulting rust. Use a brass or lead hammer if you need to whack it. Never use a metal harder or as hard as the flywheel.

Remove Flywheel; If the flywheel still won't slide off you can make a jig and use the damper plate as a puller. You'll want to replace the damper plate anyway while your in there.

Pulling Jig In Place:

Rear Main Seal; This one was only replaced because I was already "in there". Even at 3000 hours it was not leaking. The oil in and around that area was from a minor valve cover gasket leak.

New Seal:

While not a tough job in terms of difficulty level it can be tedious and time consuming..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-12-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-12-2009

argofred is on a distinguished road
Thanks Maine sail! Just what I needed to know with pictures. Will check pan vs weep hole as the source of the leak. It would be nice if the source is the pan as I just (last year) rebuilt the tranny with new damper plate and dripless shaft seal. Best, Fred
Old 09-13-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Thanks from ALL OF US Universal owners. I've been 1/2 way there or more, but this really helps if the need arises to press past the flywheel.

Cheers!
Old 09-13-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Had the same thing on a Nanni 50Hp (marinised Kubota). Had to remove gear box and back part of the engine to replace a $15 rubber seal.

Exactly the same as MaineSail said. Quite stressful but more confident with engine stuff when finished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2009

recycle is on a distinguished road
How did you support the engine when removing the bell housing? Did you support it from the oil pan and was that strong enough?
Old 09-14-2009

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I put an eye bolt through the cockpit floor to a stainless plate to spread the load, and used a chain pulley to maintain the engine at the same level.

The gear box came off with a crunch but no problems.

Old 10-22-2012

Hugeone is on a distinguished road
Re: replacing rear main oil seal universal 5424

Thank you Maine Sail for great pictures and instructions. I've got my drive train out already and found there's a lot of engine oil coming out of the weep hole in my 5411.

I see in the last picture that you removed the bell housing. Could you tell me if that's absolutely necessary in order to access the rear seal? Thanx in advance for your help!
Old 11-23-2012

Tacking is on a distinguished road

Hi Main Sail and Hugeone

I have a similar leak, so, I also am very interested to know about changing the rear main oil seal in my M15. A search of the internet reveals almost nothing. The most useful info I have is the M15 parts manual (part # 200138). I am looking for a "Chilton's" type manual for the M15 (or Kubota Z500).

Or perhaps a point form summary of what you have done?

Many Thanks for your time.
Old 02-21-2013

Hugeone is on a distinguished road

Hello Tacking,

Just saw your post. Finally got my seal out YESTERDAY. Nothing to it. All I needed were some simple instructions which are not to be found in the Universal Diesel Model 15 Service Manual.

Got directions from: Small diesel engine; Small diesel engine serv. man
Publisher: Overland Park, KS - Technical Publications Division, Intertec Pub Corp., which I found at my local library.

Used the Z500 Kubota directions to remove the bearing case cover. The seal comes out with the cover. Very simple: Cover has 2 jackscrew holes, turn 2 screws and voila!, cover and seal come right out.

If you still haven't gotten to it, you'll need to remove the bell housing along with the tranny (the tranny is bolted to the bell housing from the inside- everything comes off as one piece), then the pressure plate and flywheel. I used a come-along and lots of blocks to hold up the engine. All bolts came out easily with Corrosion-X and an electric impact wrench.

Everything on the 5411 looks completely different from Mainsail's 5425.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hugeone; 02-21-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: grammar