Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009

dsbentley is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dsbentley Send a message via MSN to dsbentley Send a message via Yahoo to dsbentley
Old Isuzu DH100 died, need a replacement

My 28 Year Old Isuzu DH100 180HP diesel gave up the ghost and is not worth rebuilding so I am looking at option. We live in the Caribbean to looking to reliability with parts! I have been told top look at Yanmar, John Deere and Perkins. Any thoughts from you experts before I dive into this project head first? I am hoping I can use my old transmission as this is still in good shape. I know I will likely have to modify engine mounts and other accesories.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2009

jefframage is on a distinguished road
Any Kubota based system will work fine. Lots of spare parts too at farm tractor dealerships believe it or not.

Same for yanmar, which is the largest builder of tractor engines.

all basic engine parts are easily available if you know the block designation and the number. quick cross ref to farm and construction engines.

DO NOT buy a marine only engine style. Then they have you.

Deere is a good choice. Perkins diesels are used all over as well....Massy Ferguson uses Perkins diesels.

big savings if you get a block that is identical to a farm / construction equipment spec. Marine dealers overcharge.
Old 09-21-2009

dsbentley is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dsbentley Send a message via MSN to dsbentley Send a message via Yahoo to dsbentley
My question is will my old transmission mount to the new engine? Are most marine transmission bell housings the same? Should I have the transmission rebuilt? It works just fine now. I have been told I should just change out the clutch in the transmission.
Old 09-21-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
You will have to check the schematics of the new engines you are considering to see if everything (bolt pattern, input shaft splines, etc.) are exactly the same. You would have to find an engine that runs at the same rpm as the old one too. Why would you want to keep a 28 year old tranny after going to all the work to put a brand new engine in? Most new marine engines come with a transmission matched to the engine. I would look at Cummins also.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-22-2009

jefframage is on a distinguished road
transmission connection to new engine

It is likely there is a bell housing manufactured to do just that, as long as your transmission is a "standard" type. Most have similiar bolt patterns.

Splines tend to be standard, but again, use "quotes" lol. You know the saying..customer service isn't...well ...... standards arent. lol.

best thing to do is to find several motors that you'd find acceptable, and then find one of them that will bolt up.

If you can swing the dime for a new tranny and a new "standard" build, then you'd probably be better off. Engines that are 28 years apart in technology, might not have the same power curve, and that might soon tear up an older, unmatched tranny.

keep us informed, I"d like to know how this comes out, and how satisfied you are with the new engine, and your engine choice.