Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-05-2009

inshallamiami is on a distinguished road
replacing our Universal 25XP

We are replacing the Universal 25XP on our Morgan 34. We are going back and forth between another Universal: the 25XPB or going with a Yanmar 3ym30. We will be doing the installation ourselves. The Universal is more expensive but we figure it would be a very close replacement and therefore easier to install than the Yanmar, whose mounting dimensions re different.

Anyone have experience replacing their Universal with either another Universal or the Yanmar?
I would appreciate any advice/observations/warnings.

Thanks
Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2009

rdstanley is on a distinguished road
Have you considered the Beta Marine Engines? I've heard good things about them. Just a thought.
Old 10-05-2009

inshallamiami is on a distinguished road
Yeah, we've considered Beta, and it's not ruled out. We've done a LOT of research but would like to hear from someone who did their own work.
Old 02-07-2010

nccat30 is on a distinguished road
I think the universals are just kubotas at least my m25 is.I think the betas are marinized kubotas as well. someone correct me if I'm wrong,but if those things are true then the beta should be very similar. Just a thought
Old 02-07-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you were otherwise happy with the Universal, I'd stick with it. Engine parts will be available inexpensively through Kubota, an option not available with Yanmar. If your present engine is FWC, have you considered simply rebuilding it? No installation complications and, again, parts/bearings/gaskets etc from Kubota should make that option quite palatable.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-08-2010
Hull Number 33

OldColumbia is on a distinguished road
The problem changing engine manufacturers is the different dimensions, shaft length, prop size, and hose placement. etc. Our last repower evolved into relocating the hot water heater, new motor mounts, new shaft ( shorter), cutlass bearing ( the shaft was out anyway), relocating coolant tanks, and replacing control cables because of change in throttle location and transmission shift lever.
Each costing more in parts and labor. I'd keep it simple with a like kind engine.
Old 02-08-2010

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, even sticking to the same engine manufacturer/marinizer can necessitate the same upgrades/updates as the base model of the engine in the used will have changed since the model in the boat. The marinizer of the engine has littlle to no influence on the position of some of the engine controls and services, even Yanmar had changes to which side the heat exchanger and exhaust was on the change from the GM Series to it's replacement, the YM series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldColumbia View Post
The problem changing engine manufacturers is the different dimensions, shaft length, prop size, and hose placement. etc. Our last repower evolved into relocating the hot water heater, new motor mounts, new shaft ( shorter), cutlass bearing ( the shaft was out anyway), relocating coolant tanks, and replacing control cables because of change in throttle location and transmission shift lever.
Each costing more in parts and labor. I'd keep it simple with a like kind engine.
Old 02-15-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
patrick, where are you located, I am in the process of taking delivery of a beta marine Kubota 35 HP. I am doing repower myself. Check with Kubota dealer I think they have a kubota setup for the universal. I am using SoundMarine Diesel in Conn great dealer support......Red

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.