Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009

seadog47 is on a distinguished road
yanmar 2GM20F oil burner

I have twin saildrives using the Yanmar 2GM20F engines. They have about 3500 hrs on them and worked fine last season. This year one of them is burning oil. Both engines start about the same. I'm assuming that a diesel won't start well if rings or valves are bad and having two engines side by side it seems I can rule out rings and valves so I' thinking valve stem seals might be the culprit. I took an oil sample but have not sent it out for analysis yet. Does this logic make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
normally burning oil is either rings or intake valve seals. exhaust valve seals let oil out of the exhaust unburnt. you can normally narrow it down by running the engine and see if the oil cap is under pressure, that will normally mean rings.

start the engine and open the oil cap to see if it has a lot of pressure or flow of "air" out. if it does not i would lean towards valve seals, or head gasket. both of which can be done with some simple tools if you know what your doing.
Old 10-07-2009

Thanks, the boat just got hauled but I can run it long enough to check that out.
Old 10-07-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Intake valve seals usually show themselves at start up as a bit of smoke and clears up.

Do you service these engines yourself?

If not could they have been serviced with different oil in each engine? Sometimes it makes a difference.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 10-08-2009

I'm using RotellaT 30w and have used 15-40in the past. The port engine I believe is the culprit as it was down a qt. while the other is fine. The burning oil smell occurs pretty often not just at startup. I have the shop manuals and am not afraid to tackle anything short of the critical parts( injector pump and injectors.
Old 10-08-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I would not touch the injector pump other than to bleed it if you dont know what your doing. imho

It could be that it was not filled all the way last oil change and what you smell is unburned diesel because of prop, bottom fouling. Maybe you just hooked some rope or fishing line in the prop. Check that first before you start spending money.
Old 10-15-2009

Well I ran the engine and no back pressure on the oil cap when removed. I noticed my coolant reservoir was empty and the pan under the engine has oil in it. I know I had a small leak around the fuel pump at high rpms but the burning oil smell is outside by the exhaust. I'm leaning towards a blown head gasket now. Is it worth sending an oil sample for analysis to narrow this down or should I just grab the wrenches and pull the head?
Old 10-15-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Check your oil level. Is it higher than normal? Oil mixed with antifreeze? I dont think a one time oil sample will tell you much. If you have the skill, then pull the head, but I would still check for a fouled prop firt. imho
Old 10-15-2009

Boat is on the hard- no fouled prop just a few barnacles.
Old 10-15-2009

Boat is on the hard- no fouled prop just a few barnacles. The oil level was low when I changed it. I have a qt of the old oil that has been sitting for 10 days. It is not milky in color - just the usual black color. There is no coolant separation in the sample either.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.