Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Volvo 2003 gearbox

Any of you all have experience with this gearbox? When I shift from neutral to either forward or reverse, it is like there is no clutch action , only direct engagement of gears. I'm hauling out in a few days and if I need to, I will pull the box to do repairs, adjustments, etc, but if there is an easy fix I would rather do that and test before haulout. Thanks.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2010

PhilipStevens is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilipStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by j34035 View Post
Any of you all have experience with this gearbox? When I shift from neutral to either forward or reverse, it is like there is no clutch action , only direct engagement of gears. I'm hauling out in a few days and if I need to, I will pull the box to do repairs, adjustments, etc, but if there is an easy fix I would rather do that and test before haulout. Thanks.
DD
This is an MS2 gearbox as fitted to 2000 series VP diesel engines. The gearbox has cone clutches, and this is the reason VP do not advocate the gears being left in either ahead or astern when sailing - except with the sail-drive version. This is stated in the manual.

If left in ahead, the prop will continue to rotate. If left in astern, you could find that you will not be able to disengage prior to starting - in this instance you would have to start in astern before going to neutral.

There is a long article in the British Westerly Owners Association website, but this is accessible to "members only". It was the WOA who brought it to the attention of VP who would not accept failure responsibility.

It is imperative that you check the splines on your gearbox, as failure will give no warning - it just happens.

My 2003 MS2 gearbox has had the spline/hex modification.

If you need the modification, contact the UK link in the post above. You would only need to send certain parts to the UK.

regards,
Philip (UK)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook