Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
engine mounts, bewildering choices!

time to replace em! go2 marine seems to have a great selection! Marine Engine Mounts The choices are bewildering non the less. Most don't look much different then what we call "vibration isolators" in the HVAC trade. My boat has Universal 5416 and the weight is around 350 lbs. on 3 mounts. front is under the crankshaft damper/pulley of course the backs are port and starbrd. advice? hight $ is not always the best imho. thanks all!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2009

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Important consideration

is to maintain alignment w/shaft. Different mounts than what you currently have could change the angle relative to shaft & cutlass bearing. Just something to remember. Engine mounts play into engine performance & relationship w/shaft in a multitude of ways. I got an inkling of this when I had mine replaced last winter.
Old 11-10-2009

osirissail is on a distinguished road
Engine mounts come in two basic categories: hard mounts and soft mounts. Check with your engine manufacturer to see which is preferred for your engine.
- - What a lot of people do not realize is that the propeller does Not push your boat through the water. The propeller pushes the Engine via the prop shaft and transmission bearings. Then the Engine pushes on the engine mounts which push the boat.
- - If you are supposed to use hard mounts, which are the normal preferred type of mounts, and switch to soft mounts the engine will move forward and aft as you shift gears. This may cause the propeller shaft to travel too far in one direction or the other and the propeller will rub against parts it is not supposed to rub against. It is very important to replace your mounts with the correct style/hardness that the boat and engine manufacturer originally installed.
- - If the old mounts are worn you will notice too much fore and aft movement of the engine when operating in forward or reverse. Also worn mounts can allow the engine to jump or fall out of place during a knockdown or roll over. That would be severely destructive to the boat and really ruin your day.
- - Engine mounts - besides "hard" or "soft" also come in models that "capture" the internal mounting stud and will not allow the mounting stud to leave the mount in case of a roll-over. Other mounts are designed for land based installations where possible upside down or 90* off vertical operations are not possible.

Last edited by osirissail; 11-10-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-11-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Might wanna read this---
yanmar motor mount replacement idea

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 11-11-2009

osirissail is on a distinguished road
Very good link to an old post. One factor that may or may not apply is whether your boat is insured or not. Building your own engine mounts on an insured boat guarantees that you will not get a nickel out of the insurance company should damage occur to the boat due to those home-made engine mounts. If you get involved in a collision with anything - another boat or a dock - as a result of the home-made mounts failing you would really be in deep do-do. Buying the proper engine mounts even if costing twice the material costs is much smarter and might save you mega thousands of dollars down the road.
Old 11-12-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
and..... ? No, not making my own.. yes, I know about alignment issues... No I haven't bought any yet.. And No, no one has suggested which ones to use. So I guess I'l going to go with the ones listed for my engine on Torrensons site.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
and..... ? No, not making my own.. yes, I know about alignment issues... No I haven't bought any yet.. And No, no one has suggested which ones to use. So I guess I'l going to go with the ones listed for my engine on Torrensons site.
Denise,

My .02, having done both aftermarket and factory, is to stay factory. Too many variables with aftermarkets like hole centers, the wrong damping for the motor, height considerations etc. etc. on and on...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-12-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

thanks MS at least we know what I thinking!

my current "project"!
Old 11-13-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
I sayif you are happy with the longivity and performance of the stock ones then go with the original.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.