Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
universal/kubota Alternators

I know I need new batteries, 2 trojan golf cart 6 volts, and 2, 12 volt. I'll be taking the out and getting them checked first.
My alternator works but I can't help but think it's on borrowed time. Should I take to to a local guy that I spoke with? Or keep it as a spare and get another? I like the idea of a spare anything on the boat on the other hand I funds are tight.

the big question is which "off the shelf" units will go on my Universal 5416?
thanks all.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I had my existing alternator rebuilt and upgraded from 30 amps to 70 amps for about the same price as a replacement - the advantage being that all the mounting brackets and connectors still fit. It ended up being about an inch longer, but there was no interference in that direction.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-05-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The standard alternator on that engine is rated at 55 amps and is internally regulated. Fine for topping off a group 24 or 27 battery or two, but not the best for charging a house bank of 6V golf cart batteries. Consider a higher output unit with a multi-stage external regulator.
Old 11-05-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Alternators.

Denise,

Today is your lucky day. I have photographs of the Universal part #'s stuck onto the actual Leece-Neville alternators taken on the counter of my local Universal Distributor.

You can buy the 8MR2070TA from ASE Supply for $201.49:

8MR2070TA (LINK)

You could buy this alt from Universal/Westerbeke for $648.00

There is also the 72 amp #300746:

ASE could order this one for you but they don't stock it.

Universal sells this alt for $642.00 (LINK)..

Personally, I would re-build what you have and use it. For what you have, and how you use it, there is no need to get fancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-05-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Kewl! MS! thanks! it is my lucky day! I think the PO said that it had a 70 amp but I dont' know. It does have a "box" on the back. it's all been painted white from when the engine was "replaced" No way to know but most people don't remove engines to just paint them .. or do they? LOL
Thanks!

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.