Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009

conquistatadore is on a distinguished road
Can U Replace - Yanmar 1 Cyl With 2 Cyl. ?!?

Helloooo..

Can you replace a Yanmar 1 cylinder ysb8 with a 2 cyl Yanmar in an Ericson 27 ?

Is it a drop in or no?

Meaning the mounts fit or new mounting base needs to be rigged ?

thanx for any tips !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
If you have room in front of your engine you may have room. if you have to push it back for the larger to fit. you will also have to shorten your shaft, and your prop will need replacing or resetting.
Old 11-05-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Is your existing engine the horizontal low profile version? If so vertical clearance may be an issue with a 2gm or the newer ym series. This link http://www.abcpm.co.uk/downloads/eng...nmar/2ym15.pdf is for the YMs and provides dimensions that you could compare to your own install. That should give you an idea.

But in reality you're likely looking at a fair bit of work to change beds, adjust shaft length and a reprop as santa said.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-08-2009

yanmar

Thanx for advice,

this is an old YSB8 i think, so not sure if thats what you were referring to as far as engine swaps/

I am way toooooo lazy to do all that, i just was hoping it'd be just a swap.. but i guess not...

that old one cyl. motor is waaaay too weak for this boat!

Last edited by conquistatadore; 11-08-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2009

osirissail is on a distinguished road
Go electric . . . but as to the diesel it is just a matter of whether it will fit without having to make major modifications to the boat's engine compartment. Also consider that on a small boat you can remove the internal diesel and hang an outboard on the stern and eliminate a ton of complicated-ness from the boat.
Old 11-10-2009

JCR is on a distinguished road
Go electric ..... you will never go back

I would suggest that you replace that engine with an electric drive. Check out electricyacht.com. If you are on the east coast I can install it for you.

JCR
Old 11-10-2009

- - Be extra wary and take extra efforts to check out any boat electric motor conversion outfits. It is a new field and there have been some serious financial losses involved with "home basement/garage" type new companies. Typically they want your money up front and then don' t deliver the product or the product does not work. Every major company in the world started out in somebody's home and grew from there - it is just because this is a "new" field for boats that you need to be extra careful and do extra research.
- - Also the "total price" when the conversion is finally done is multiples of what a diesel replacement would cost. But the extra cost might be fine if your sailing area is "eco" restrictive on propulsion systems or you just don't want to have to deal with smelly diesel and engines, engine oil, etc. Sometime in the far future I suspect "electric drive" for small/medium sailboats will the the "norm" - but until then the industry is still in the "teething" stages.
Old 11-10-2009

JCR is on a distinguished road
Change is tough for us over 50 crowd. I have been involved in the design and installation of electrric boat drives for some time and have a good amount of interest and knowledge about the subject. If you are ever interested and would like to know about electric drives I maybe can offer some information. I agree one should be carefull about new technologies that come our way but you may know that in Europe electric boats have been around a long time. Electric boat drives are the only real good solution for sailboats. All you really have to do is talk to people who have them.

JCR
Old 11-11-2009

what kind of money are we talking for an electric motor?

i am mainly interested in just a basic diesel, since it seems its too much money for an electric.
Old 11-11-2009

- - The cost of an exchange or replacement diesel is mitigated by your already having a fuel tank, filters and hoses, etc. left over from the old engine.
- - The cost of switching to electric involves removing all the obstructing diesel stuff and then fitting a platform for the electric motor, its controls, regulators and a massive weight of batteries. From looking at the links to electric motor suppliers/installers posted by others in the different e-motor threads The cost of the necessary batteries, battery chargers, gensets, and then all the electric motor and it stuff appears to be at least about double the diesel replacement costs.
- - Depending upon the size of the boat and its intended area of usage that might be very acceptable. However as the boat gets larger and the operating area gets bigger the conversion costs increase dramatically over diesel.