Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009

Terry60 is on a distinguished road
Need advice on engines - Westerbeke 30B or Yanmar 3YM30?

Hi -
We have a 1970 Columbia 36 and the old Albin 20 seized up after an oil mishap (don't ask). Given the boat's age and what we paid for her (not a lot) we're looking for a good rebuilt.

We've narrowed it down to a rebuilt Yanmar 3GM (1 yr warranty) for $5500, a 2005 Yanmar 3YM30 with 140 hours that was pulled from a boat recently (engine is supposedly fine, the owner had to "dispose of the boat"; no warranty but from very reputable marine dealer who also has the 3GM above) for $4700, or a rebuilt Westerbeke 30B (6 month warranty) for $5000. We also have a lead on a Westerbeke 21 that was recently pulled from a 1985 Frers 36 and replaced with a lighter Yanmar (the guy races) for about $1500.

Assuming the specs work for each option, and after having done some web research, we're leaning toward the Yanmar 3YM30 given the price, low hours on the motor and good reviews, and reputation of the dealer. The Westerbeke 21 is tempting given the price but it's fairly old and doesn't really give us much more power than the old Albin.

Anybody have an opinion on the Yanmar 3GM vs 3YM30 vs Westerbeke? We're starting to spin around on this -- too much information for non-mechanics ... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2009

osirissail is on a distinguished road
Simply put the Yanmar's have a very good reputation, world wide. And even more than that access to parts and service world-wide is very good.
Old 11-10-2009
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
I repowered with the 3YM30 two years ago and have over 500 hours. It is very quiet, does not smoke or smell and always starts immediately. Not a single problem so far. In this 19,000 lb boat we cruise at 6+ kt at about 2750 RPM. The gear is 2.62:1 with a 3-blade 16X11 prop.
Old 11-10-2009
Master Marine Technician

CharlieTaylor is on a distinguished road
You're on the right track, but have a long way to go.

There are many issues that will need to be addressed and resolved to achieve your desired objectives.

Getting the right and a good engine from a truly reputable and expereinced dealer is very important. Just as important, if not more important, is the installation itself including an assessment of existing associated components and infrastructure such as engine mounting configuration, engine controls, cabling & instrument displays, electrical cabling, water pick-up and discharge, cooling configuration, exhaust discharge, prop shaft & coupling & stuffing box, prop, alignment, etc.

The installation should be done by a qualified, certified & experienced professional.
Old 11-20-2009

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
Agree with the last poster about pro installation.

All things being equal an idea might be to get a used oil sample from each and have it analyzed. Buy the one with the cleanest report. Yjis is likely not possible but its an idea.

I have a Westerbeke and am very satisfied with it. I have never owned a Yanmar but I believe the parts are cheaper for the Yanmars.

Good luck
Old 01-01-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
Have you looked at the kubota Beta marine diesels ? They are reasonably priced
Old 01-01-2010

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
Make sure you get the motor mounts for the 3Ym30, very important. I installed new 3ym30 in winter of 2004-5, and have 745 hours on her, only problem I had was over heatung issue which had sea weed blocking the inlet of the heat exchanger. And yes had a strainer, but now I have two of them. The weight of our boat is 20,000lbs, being a deisel mechanic I'm happy and impressed with the engine.
Old 01-01-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
A number of 3YM30's have had overheating problems due to undersized heat exchangers and a smaller raw water pump. Yanmar is aware of the issue and have replaced a number of exchangers free of charge. These issues have been showing up around the 150 hour mark on engines with serial numbers lower than 6000

The fix is to install a 66 tube heat exchanger rather than the original 35 tube unit an use a larger raw water pump.

Last edited by boatpoker; 01-01-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A number of 3YM30's have had overheating problems due to undersized heat exchangers and a smaller raw water pump. Yanmar is aware of the issue and have replaced a number of exchangers free of charge. These issues have been showing up around the 150 hour mark on engines with serial numbers lower than 6000

The fix is to install a 66 tube heat exchanger rather than the original 35 tube unit an use a larger raw water pump.

Hi, thanks for that good info.

Do you know whether Yanmar corrected the heat exchanger problem on all new sales/installations of 3YMs going forward, or are they only addressing it if a problem develops? In other words, do they still sell the new engine with this smaller exchanger/impeller combo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-04-2010

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Best to check with a dealer but I believe the problem was corrected on all serial numbers over 6000

Last edited by boatpoker; 01-04-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling