SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need advice on engines - Westerbeke 30B or Yanmar 3YM30?

25K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  jarod 
#1 ·
Hi -
We have a 1970 Columbia 36 and the old Albin 20 seized up after an oil mishap (don't ask). Given the boat's age and what we paid for her (not a lot) we're looking for a good rebuilt.

We've narrowed it down to a rebuilt Yanmar 3GM (1 yr warranty) for $5500, a 2005 Yanmar 3YM30 with 140 hours that was pulled from a boat recently (engine is supposedly fine, the owner had to "dispose of the boat"; no warranty but from very reputable marine dealer who also has the 3GM above) for $4700, or a rebuilt Westerbeke 30B (6 month warranty) for $5000. We also have a lead on a Westerbeke 21 that was recently pulled from a 1985 Frers 36 and replaced with a lighter Yanmar (the guy races) for about $1500.

Assuming the specs work for each option, and after having done some web research, we're leaning toward the Yanmar 3YM30 given the price, low hours on the motor and good reviews, and reputation of the dealer. The Westerbeke 21 is tempting given the price but it's fairly old and doesn't really give us much more power than the old Albin.

Anybody have an opinion on the Yanmar 3GM vs 3YM30 vs Westerbeke? We're starting to spin around on this -- too much information for non-mechanics ... Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I repowered with the 3YM30 two years ago and have over 500 hours. It is very quiet, does not smoke or smell and always starts immediately. Not a single problem so far. In this 19,000 lb boat we cruise at 6+ kt at about 2750 RPM. The gear is 2.62:1 with a 3-blade 16X11 prop.

#4 ·
You're on the right track, but have a long way to go.

There are many issues that will need to be addressed and resolved to achieve your desired objectives.

Getting the right and a good engine from a truly reputable and expereinced dealer is very important. Just as important, if not more important, is the installation itself including an assessment of existing associated components and infrastructure such as engine mounting configuration, engine controls, cabling & instrument displays, electrical cabling, water pick-up and discharge, cooling configuration, exhaust discharge, prop shaft & coupling & stuffing box, prop, alignment, etc.

The installation should be done by a qualified, certified & experienced professional.

#5 ·
Agree with the last poster about pro installation.

All things being equal an idea might be to get a used oil sample from each and have it analyzed. Buy the one with the cleanest report. Yjis is likely not possible but its an idea.

I have a Westerbeke and am very satisfied with it. I have never owned a Yanmar but I believe the parts are cheaper for the Yanmars.

Good luck

#7 ·
Make sure you get the motor mounts for the 3Ym30, very important. I installed new 3ym30 in winter of 2004-5, and have 745 hours on her, only problem I had was over heatung issue which had sea weed blocking the inlet of the heat exchanger. And yes had a strainer, but now I have two of them. The weight of our boat is 20,000lbs, being a deisel mechanic I'm happy and impressed with the engine.

#8 · (Edited)
A number of 3YM30's have had overheating problems due to undersized heat exchangers and a smaller raw water pump. Yanmar is aware of the issue and have replaced a number of exchangers free of charge. These issues have been showing up around the 150 hour mark on engines with serial numbers lower than 6000

The fix is to install a 66 tube heat exchanger rather than the original 35 tube unit an use a larger raw water pump.

#9 ·
A number of 3YM30's have had overheating problems due to undersized heat exchangers and a smaller raw water pump. Yanmar is aware of the issue and have replaced a number of exchangers free of charge. These issues have been showing up around the 150 hour mark on engines with serial numbers lower than 6000

The fix is to install a 66 tube heat exchanger rather than the original 35 tube unit an use a larger raw water pump.

Hi, thanks for that good info.

Do you know whether Yanmar corrected the heat exchanger problem on all new sales/installations of 3YMs going forward, or are they only addressing it if a problem develops? In other words, do they still sell the new engine with this smaller exchanger/impeller combo?

#15 ·
They issued two Marine Service Advisories, that first cleaned the heat exchangers then replaced for the larger bundle, but only for those that experienced problems. There are probably quite a few boats out there that motor out of there marina a short distance then hoist the sails, without much if any long distance motoring and may not have the overheating problem until a crucial time when the motor is needed. Hopefully the surveyors have the info as well, to catch these on re-sales.

#16 ·
I would have to disagree with the statement made above in this thread:

"The installation should be done by a qualified, certified & experienced professional"

Anyone who is reasonably handy can swap out a diesel in a boat given they do their research and take some care. Mechanics have their place but the average boat owner can save themselves some serious money by doing the engine swap themselves. This type of work doesn't require any specialized knowledge especially when you consider the size of the engine and the fact it is going into a displacement hull.

I wouldn't suggest just anyone tear into their engine and attempt a rebuild without some previous experience but an engine swap ...sure why not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.