SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Winterizing Volvo 2003

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JimsCAL 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 · (Edited)
I had a 2003 many years ago. It was raw water cooled. If yours is, it's fairly simple. Take the thermostat out. Replace the housing. If I remember right it's right in the front of the engine. Take the water intake hose that goes into the transmission (transmission cooler) left side rear, dip it in a bucket 50/50 anti-freeze. Start engine and run till antifreeze comes out the exhaust. Replace thermostat. That'll take care of the engine and heat exchanger in the hot water tank. Drain the strainer. Some folks take the impeller out as they say it's not good to leave it in. I used to take it out and leave it in a small jar of antifreeze but as time passed I got lazier and used to leave it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.