Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011

irishlad is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know which way the seals (water and oil seals) should face? Should the spring side be facing the impeller side or not? Do they both face the same way? thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlad View Post
Does anyone know which way the seals (water and oil seals) should face? Should the spring side be facing the impeller side or not? Do they both face the same way? thanks
If you can see the springs, then I wonder if you have complete seals! Both sides of of the seal should be enclosed in brass, and the center should be rubber...

I suppose that you could have older seals... the ones that I removed were NOT enclosed in brass.

If I recall correctly, on my old seals the springs were exposed to the weep holes once they were seated in the pump.

Therefore, when inserting the seal, one spring, the one on the water seal, faced out, and the other, for the oil seal, would have faced in.

I hope this helps!
Old 08-07-2011
Learning the HARD way...

Angry Friggin Pump...

I've put about 30 hours on the engine since the pump rebuild. Realize that this is a new-to-me boat, and I just started a job, so my sailing time has limited. Also, it's a sailboat...

I noticed that the crankshaft oil-seal on the M25 was leaking, and spraying a fine mist of oil around the engine compartment. After every 3 hours, or so, I found what I initially thought was V-belt dust. When I wiped it up, however it smudged - thus cluing me in that it was a liquid....

Anyway, I pulled the oil seal - once I figured out that the seal is made of a metal ring embedded in the rubber (which took me about an hour to figure out), and inserted the new one (hint- even though it looks like it is only rubber, you cannot deform it by squeezing it with your fingers - thus it must have something rigid inside of it!). Then, I started the engine to check my work. No leaking oil! No spray! No specks on the engine mounting platform! Looks good!!!

... Wait a minuite, where did that drip come from?... There's another! Another, and another! It COULDN't be the raw water pump, I just rebuilt it!...

Clear as day, water was dripping out of the lower weep hole, and splattering on the engine block, the new engine mount (I no longer wonder why the PO replaced it), the oil pan - right where there is that rusty spot... Rate of about 1 drop / 2 seconds.

I guess that the pump housing is shot, and the water is making it's way around the seals... Or, and this thought is just occurring to me, there may be a restriction down stream (H/X or exhaust elbow) that is causing back pressure, forcing water to escape through the seal.

Would any of you like to share your experience with the Universal M series of engines, or hazard a guess?

I will look into it, but I suspect that a new pump is in my future .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 08-07-2011
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
Well, I too have a leak from said pump but I know why........... There are two rubber seals that get pressed in and the first needed to be oriented the other way around but I didn't think of it until after I reassembled my pump! So it has been dripping away (not too bad ) and I will fix it when I take the pump off later this month. Could you also have put the first seal in backwards?

Just a thought

Josh

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 08-09-2011
Learning the HARD way...

degreeoff,

Thanks for the thought, but that is not the case... I had another exchange with someone on the same topic. I am sure that the seals are in in the correct direction.

Yesterday, I took her out for a couple of hours. While someone else was at the helm, I rechecked the engine, and in particular the water pump. I did not see a drop of water, nor signs of a leak in the time that I spent looking at the engine. I ran it at different RPMs, and everything was tight for over 15 min...

Because I did not look at the leak after the engine had come up to temperature, I'm more than a little puzzled...

I have a hypothesis though; I wonder if the water gets between the seals (Number 8 in the illustration above) and the graphite bearing (Number 12) when the engine is cool. After starting the engine, heat causes the shaft (Number 6) to expand and the shaft and graphite bearing close the gap. A few teaspoons of water are now trapped between the end of the bearing and the seal, and this water is heated as the now warm, shaft is in contact with it. Because the ingress hole, between the bearing and the shaft, is now sealed, water has nowhere else to escape but between the shaft and the rubber seal. Thus my elusive leak through the weep hole. Put another way, it is supposed to leak BRIEFLY.

Comments?

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-09-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Illustration references
Old 03-24-2012
Learning the HARD way...

Update

Because I am currently in Ft Myers, and I had a client call in Tampa, I stopped in at Depco Pump on my way. For those of you in the Tampa / Clearwater / area, it is a GREAT resource. I bought a new N202M-15 pump for $200...

Because of the drip mentioned in my previous post, I was concerned about the potential for creating new problems. While I believe that I did a good job on the rebuild, it cost me $178 in parts, plus time.

Let me recap: $178 in parts, plus time to rebuild, or $200 for a new pump...

Let me suggest to all of you that you simply BUY A NEW PUMP if you have a problem.
Old 03-25-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Re: rebuilding Oberdorfer Pump

The full article about the pump rebuild with the allen wrench cut off clearly states that the two seals should have the writing on the seals facing each other.

Many of our C34 guys have done this successfully, and I'm in the process of doing it right now.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6766.0.html

I'm going to (try to) get the seals out today with the allen idea, and appreciate the input about using a nail instead it that doesn't work. Usually, Ron Hill's advice is worth its weight in gold, so I don't know why the allen wrench didn't work for you. Did you possibly score the pump housing?

The last time I faced this issue was in 1999, and I bought a new pump. If I can get the seals out, it'd be a LOT less expensive than to buy a new pump, since I have th seals and the bushing is in fine shape.

Our local dealer says pressing them out and pressing new ones in costs more in labor than buying a new pump.

We'll just have to see about that, but i understand the logic, having been there once before.
Old 03-25-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

DONE

Successfully.

The "NAIL" IDEA also helped.

Folks, I thought I'd buy the new pump on Tuesday.

Fixing it myself for a Sunday afternoon worth of effort was well worth it.

Whaddya got to lose?

If you go to the link I posted above to the C34 website, I've posted the results.
Old 03-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

For those considering replacing their Oberdorfer 202 model water pumps, Moyer Marine makes a '501' pump that easily replaces the Oberdorfer 202 and eliminates the grease cap on some of the Oberdorfer models.
Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts
No affiliation other then being a happy customer. Not cheap but what is?

Everybody has one:

Old 03-26-2012
Learning the HARD way...

Stu - I see that you have the "old-style" impeller cover. As the pump wears, it will score the cover. One of the benefits of the newer style, is that you can flip the cover over, and reinstall the cover...

Again - my last point is that the savings of $20 and having to pull the pump apart (I did the major overhaul and replaced the carbon bearings/bushings), and reassemble, simply wasn't worth it for me to do this again. YMMV.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.