Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Re: rebuilding Oberdorfer Pump

I understand. Thanks again for the timely input which was a great help to me in my work yesterday. That "nail trick" was priceless.

Having "been there, done that" I sanded the inside of the faceplate before installing it. Yes, there is an advantage to having the ability of flipping the faceplate on the N pump, but my solution is simple: I have a backup faceplate.

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 03-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

... and I have a backup PUMP!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 03-26-2012
Learning the HARD way...

Actually Stu, your picture shows what I found most difficult about replacing the seals..

That carbon bearing, the black circle through which the Allen wrench is passing, will likely get trashed in the process.
Looking at your pic, I suspect that your bearing may be damaged...

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Old 03-26-2012

I have a backup pump, too!

The carbon bushing is just fine. I checked both ends, and only the inner end is an issue anyway. It's essentially only a sleeve, so unless it's worn or actually cracked and broken, it ain't goin' anywhere and will support the shaft. I was very careful and actually used your idea for the nail for the inner seal.
Old 04-01-2012

I've added a picture of the inside engine end of the pump shaft connection to my rebuild article linked earlier in this thread. See reply #27.
Old 04-01-2012
Learning the HARD way...

Stu - Not meaning any offense, but; What is that crud on your timing case cover?

Old 04-02-2012

None taken. You nailed it, it's crud. Seemed that the pump/engine gasket might have been leaking a tad, so the engine started to go all crud-dy on me. When the OEM pump started to go back in 1998 or 9, that whole section of the engine started to get rusted out. I painted it with Rustoleum gray primer, never did get to paint it in the Universal Bronze (have a can) also understand that GM Camel (#286) also works. As you can see from other pictures in that link, it's time to paint again.

It's truly amazing how salt water can "migrate" around.

A friend wrote this on our C34 Board:

When we first posted it the #286 GM Camel paint was available at Track auto stores (1998?). When Track was bought up, I guess that the metallic copper paint went with the buyout? Just look for some metallic copper auto paint.
BTW, the front of the accessory end of the engine (Oberdoffer/Sherwood and the internal water pump is mounted to) is an aluminum alloy!! The bell housing is also an aluminum alloy. The Hurth transmission body is also an aluminum alloy. The only part of the engine that can rust is the cast iron Kubota block and the steel oil pan.!
Don't get me wrong, because aluminum alloy will corrode somewhat if salt water stays on it. I have never painted my new injectors, because salt water should never get up that high. To preclude the chipping of paint you can also get the same protection from BO Shield (waxy) spray.

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 04-03-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Going to re-activate this thread!

Rebuilt my OBD pump a few years ago. "Time to change the impeller" me thinks!

Noooo Problemo! Out with the old it; was still good but lost it's "spring" and the vanes were not coming back to straight. So we put the new one in. It's a globe "run dry" I also have a OEM spare. So get all together. it won't prime. Just like 3 yrs ago when I tried the Globe impeller! ARRRG Put the good OEM impeller in.. and it pumps! go figure the globe blue run dry looks identical in every way. but it won't prime and pump.

Looks like OBD pump impellers are going for over $30 now. just amazing what things cost for "marine" applications.

How could an impeller that's identical not work? My only guess is it's too soft?

yes, have the thin OEM paper gasket, no it doesn't drip water, seals are still good.

my current "project"!
Old 04-10-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Did a search on sailboat owners and Maine Sail's Musing, Seems the Globe impellers are a problem. So I'll order another spare from Moyer or one of the others. Defender is $37 actually more then Moyer's at $33

my current "project"!
Old 04-10-2012
Learning the HARD way...

D- Before you replace the impeller, you can coat it with dish soap and it will prime.