Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I would guess if the cooling was a problem the engine would overheat and you'd know that most likely. Black sooty exhaust comes from unburned fuel, and as has been mentioned this could be injectors, but it is also a symptom of an exhaust that is restricted. If the engine can't breath properly you will get a lot of soot. I'd check the exhaust for restriction/corrosion.
Old 01-25-2010
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road
I recently ran into a faulty waste gate control on a Chevy diesel pickup.
See if you have one and how it's supposed to work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2010

Tspringer is on a distinguished road
Update….

I bought a brand new turbo from Yanmar, installed it and it made no difference at all. So turbo is ruled out and the money darts game continues. It really shocks me that diesel mechanic is pretty much like being a weather man.

So we have tried new injectors, a new lift pump, a new turbo, the after cooler was cleaned out and we have run various tests and sea trials and I am still at square one except for the $3K that is gone.

I have no means of testing the exhaust back pressure but the mixing elbow is clear and in great shape and the giant hose that leads from it to the fiberglass waterlift muffler is clear. Also, the engine does not run hot at all and water spits from the transom exhaust pretty much as it always has. I see no indications of any blockage and other than replacing all the parts (huge money and massive labor) I see no way to determine if this could be the problem or not.

Incorrect prop pitch has been suggested by many….. the boat was hauled a month ago and the prop and shaft were cleaned. Also, I had a diver check the prop out on Friday of last week and he found it clean with no issues and said it operated as a max prop should.

During this refit I did add about 2000lb to the boat… a new arch, deck boxes, solar panels, a larger battery bank plus all my tools and all our cruising gear. The tech I spoke to at max prop seemed to think this addition unlikely to cause such a change in engine behavior on a boat my size but he did not say it was impossible. The Yanmar tech at Mastry insists that the issue is prop however. I am very skeptical…. How could I go from getting 3400 rpm with little black smoke to pouring black smoke and only getting 2,950rpm by adding 2Klb to a 35,000lb boat?

But, with no other good ideas or solutions presenting themselves our plans are to haul the boat and reset the prop pitch. Another money dart being loaded up…..

I swear I am getting into the diesel mechanic racket. Throw parts at it until something sticks and cash the checks all down the line.

Terry
Old 01-27-2010
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
Terry

You do not have to haul the boat to change the pitch of a Max Prop. Call PYI and ask them for the name of a competent diver in your area who is familiar with Max Prop. It is done in the water frequently.

michael
Old 01-27-2010

gathhill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
Update….

How could I go from getting 3400 rpm with little black smoke to pouring black smoke and only getting 2,950rpm by adding 2Klb to a 35,000lb boat?

Terry
This really sounds indicative of an engine under heavy load. Does the engine seem to operate normal in neutral. Are you sure the shaft is free and not binding? Very puzzling.
Old 01-27-2010

guyfromiowa is on a distinguished road
9 psi boost. Find out why your boost isn't as high as it should be. Four main possibilities, 1, restricted air intake, B, restricted exhaust, III, turbine/compressor shaft dragging. 4, waste gate leaking exhaust past hot side. New turbo in box? Not likely shaft dragging. Not likely a waste gate problem. Go for the easy diagnostic - take the air inlet fitting off and run it for a short time allowing air directly into the turbo inlet. Make extra double sure there is no chance to draw anything into the turbo inlet during the test. If that doesn't help put the inlet back together and rig a temporary exhaust pipe and load test again.

You need to find out why your boost pressure is too low. Find that and you are off to the rodeo.

Guy
Old 01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gathhill View Post
This really sounds indicative of an engine under heavy load. Does the engine seem to operate normal in neutral. Are you sure the shaft is free and not binding? Very puzzling.
Yes, with the engine in neutral the diver could spin the prop and shaft with no issues. There is no binding.

My max prop is an older model... it has to be disassembled to change the pitch. This might be possible with a diver in very clear and calm water, maybe, but in the murky St. Johns river..... no way. Actually I do not think there is any way to adjust the pitch in the water as in order to see the little letters marking where to set the pieces the prop must have the grease removed and be very clean and its still hard to be precise. In the water it would be impossible to get it exactly right.

Terry
Old 01-27-2010

CarelessNavigator is on a distinguished road
I know this is probably a dumb question but, did you do a compression test?
Old 01-27-2010

No compression test, I do not have a means of doing this as my tester has no adaptor that will work on this engine.

The Yanmar dealer did not do one either, even when the injectors were out of the engine. This angers me.... but he said the engine did not need it as it was clear it had good compression. Well, its NOT clear to me at this point. Nothing is.

Terry
Old 01-27-2010

CarelessNavigator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
No compression test, I do not have a means of doing this as my tester has no adaptor that will work on this engine.

The Yanmar dealer did not do one either, even when the injectors were out of the engine. This angers me.... but he said the engine did not need it as it was clear it had good compression. Well, its NOT clear to me at this point. Nothing is.

Terry
I am dumbfounded. A compression test is one of the first things you should check after the very basics. He can tell if the compression is good buy saying it is clear that it had good compression. Wow that guy is good, if he was a magician he would be Bozo the clown.

There has got to be an adapter to do a compression test on your engine if you cannot find one make one. One of the easiest ways is to use an old glow plug get the diameter and thread pitch from it and what ever you can to adapt it and go from there.