Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-23-2010

jarod is on a distinguished road
Repower question

Hello

Well I am planning on buying my dads boat (getting the family discount) although dad assured me there is no "deal" on a boat. In all seriousness he has told me to repower the boat and take the cost off of the sale price. I can't pass that up so I am looking at my repower options. The boat is a 36 foot motorsailer that displaces approximately 25,000. It currently has an older 60hp volvo diesel in it and dad says this has been adequate to power the boat at displacement speeds. I am looking at the 54 hp yanmar as a replacement and after taking some measurements I believe it should fit fine with some alterations to the engine bed. The engine comes with some different gearing/transmission options and I was wondering how i select the transmission...some have a 7% downangle and some don't there is also the gearing ratio to think about. I have put a link to the engine info below.....anyone want to enlighten me on this stuff

http://shop.torresen.com/utility/inc...lit/4JH4AE.pdf

Thanks
Jarod

Last edited by jarod; 01-23-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
I would start by looking at what is in there. If the current transmission is straight, chances are sticking with that will be easier. If you don't want to change props, figure out the maximum speed of the shaft currently (based on max rpm and gear ratio) and try to pick a transmission that would net the same shaft speed with the new engine's max rpm.

Doing it this way won't be exact but it will put you in the ballpark. The less stuff that you have to reengineer, the easier it is.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2010

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Gerr's "Propeller Handbook" has a lot of technical info on the subject. Sounds like you already have a good idea of what you need.
Old 01-23-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Lots of things to think about before deciding on which engine to go with. First of course is will it fit easily into the existing space, sounds like you have concluded that it will. While looking at the engine room, take a look at where the raw water inlet is, will it be difficult to route it to the new engines pump? How about the exhaust routing and muffler, and the size of the exhaust hose. Will the muffler and thru hull need to be changed for a different size hose? Another thing to check out is the size of the new instrument panel, especially if you can't accommodate a larger panel in your existing space. Most wiring and fuel line changes are relatively small problems. Have you looked at the Beta (Kubota) engines, they offer custom mounting feet that will match your old ones exactly. That can save a lot of hassles and work sometimes, and the Kubotas are heavy duty, low rpm engines.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-26-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
repower

Jared, I am doing the same basic repower to my 38' Jeanneau, I checked out volvo, yanmar, and kubota, I chose kubota not just for price,the support from the dealer is a huge factor. The engineering and design of the motor looks excellent,and I have heard lots of good things about these motors. This motor has come a long way. They have an engine for your size and displacement. I think their small sail auxillery engines run from like 10 hp to around 100 hp. I am using Joe DeMers, Sound Marine Diesel, in Conn. H e supplied me with dimensions to make a mock engine I fitted the mounts to it.The volvo and Yanmar people I found wanted to sell me an engine and good bye.Where are you located? Red
Old 01-26-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
One of the best thing about Kubota (Beta) engines is that you can then start shopping for your replacement parts at tractor supply places which are not priced anywhere near marine places like Torreson (which is good but expensive).
Anything sold as a 'marine' part will be at least 10% more then the land based equivalent.
You will basically have a tractor engine on your boat so shopping at a tractor supply place will save you money.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2010

jarod is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tips. I am in Vancouver, BC actually north of Vancouver about a 100miles. I ended up going for the 54hp yanmar. My second choice was the Beta Marine or marinized Kubota...there would be more fitment issues with the kubota as opposed to the Yanmar. I agree though that the kunbota motor itself is likely the best one out there right now. That being said there are quite a few folks who seem pretty happy with the yanmar 54. The parts costs are high, but at least they are available. The boat had a Volvo prior and I won't even start about what a nightmare parts are for that thing....both cost and accessability.

If anyone has any tips on building my jig or mockup I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again
jarod
Old 01-27-2010
Red

I will try to send a picture later....Red
Old 01-27-2010
Red

pics

pics here goes......Should be a pic of template on truck, it is a piece of 5/8" plywood the size of the engine with 2 -3" wide pieces going the oppisite way where the motor mounts are. They are drilled exactly the correct widtd and length on center. the drop down small pieces are exact center of engine with my shaft diameter drilled front and rear .
Old 01-27-2010
Red

pics?

here goes again..................

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.