Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
What do you do to your diesel fuel?

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I have searched the site looking for it and not found anything that satisfied me.....

It seems like adding things to your diesel fuel is pretty much half superstition and half word of mouth.

I am just curious: if anything, what do you all add to your diesel fuel? Also please explain your rationale for doing so. I am not talking about filters, but rather additives.

Thanks,

RainDog
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2010

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
No doubt others may disagree but I worked in the petrochemical and refinery business for over 20 years and this is what I do - add cetane booster since all U.S. refineries produce a fuel with a cetane rating less than some engine mfgs recommend.
Keep it fresh and free of water. Anything else just serves to make you feel good.
Old 01-30-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
In boats, the only thing that I do is to add a bit of biocide each fall so that if algae starts, it gets killed quickly.

In my truck and a bunch of other diesel engines that I use through the winter, we use the white bottle of powerservice since it give some cetane boost and helps prevent gelling.
Old 01-30-2010
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Smile

I burn biodiesel in a ratio that varies between 20% and 60% and so don't have to worry about cetane. I don't know the numbers, but one of the many benefits of biodiesel is the added lubrication it provides. Also don't have to worry about dirty fuel tanks. I polished my tank years ago when I started burning biodiesel and now when I replace my Racor it looks almost new after 100+ hours. I only replace it because I am fastidious about maintenance.

I do add a shot of biobor once in a while for no good reason other than paranoia. I've read enough to think there is reason to fear bacterial growth in the condensation that forms ( I live in the NW where condensation is our middle name) but am not so convinced that I do it with any particular conviction.

Seems the cetane and clean fuel issues are the primary challenges. I'm a big fan of oversized filtration, self-service fuel polishing, and regular filter changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2010

RIYachtBroker is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm a distributor for Syntek Global so this is obviously a little self serving, but take a look at the web site and decide for yourself. This product has been used for over 20 years in industrial diesel engines and only recently been made available for commercial consumption. So take a look, order or not. Just trying to let you know one of your options. Syntek :: Work Hard, Play Hard
Old 01-30-2010

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Cetane boost, biocide, & Stanadyne lubricity on the advice of the mechanic that services my trucks (Mitsubishi & Kenworth). He said my 85 Yanmar 3GMF would benefit from the lubricity with the now ultra low sulphur diesel. Maybe it's snake oil but given that I burn 70 gallons in a busy summer and 20 gallons in a not busy summer, seems like cheap insurance.
We did have an injector pump problem in a previous International after the low sulphur came in. Coincidence? Who knows? I didn't think too much of the International anyway.
Old 01-30-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I was just told the same thing that Shortman said about the new ultra low sulphur diesel lacking lubricity. I now add Stanadyne as well as the biocide. My mechanic told me that a local water taxi boat doubled the hours between replacing injector tips by adding the Stanadyne, from 1500 to 3000 hours.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-30-2010
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Hey Rain,

I just installed an access port in my tank, emptied all the old fuel, installed a Racor 500MA, new diesel (road diesel from a high volumn Shell station-jug it in), and added this...AmFleet Megatane Diesel Fuel Chemicals & Additives

I can't say if the additive is really needed, but the PO used it.
Old 01-30-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
Ultra low sulfer fuel does have less lubricity. The process of removing the sulfur changes the lubricity, it is not the sulfur itself. There have been some studies done on this and while the lubricity is down, it isn't down much. If I can find where I put the studies, I will try to post the actual numbers. A small amount of biodiesel is probably the best lubricity additive.
Old 01-31-2010

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Low sulfer fuel ( modern fuel ) does not have the luberication as the old fuel ..we put about a cup of motor oil per 100 gallons of fuel in the trucks up here , some of us , It quites down the top end and gives the diesel more power . If you have an ear for sound ,just try it out and youll know very soon . Injector cleaner is a must ! I been useing Power Service brand for a long time .raises C tane rating and dissipates water in the system .
To me its just part of fuel system maintaince.