Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke Red - Paint Sources?

Greetings all:
An easy question: anybody know what color "Westerbeke Red" is? (Bet Maine Sail could answer this one in his sleep!) I just can't see paying $30 a can for the "official" spray paint from Torrensen, etc.! There must be a Krylon or RustOleum color that is close - any experience?? Thanks all - Happy Wintah projects!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLATRIX1965 View Post
Greetings all:
An easy question: anybody know what color "Westerbeke Red" is? (Bet Maine Sail could answer this one in his sleep!) I just can't see paying $30 a can for the "official" spray paint from Torrensen, etc.! There must be a Krylon or RustOleum color that is close - any experience?? Thanks all - Happy Wintah projects!!
It's Westerbeke red. I buy it from Hansen Marine. Though a tad expensive it is good quality stuff. It does take a while to fully kick and harden though. I tired to find a high temp match but was unsuccessful.

You can try to match it but do go with a high temp engine paint. I never tried because I have had good luck with the factory Westerbeke stuff. I don't recall spending $30.00 for it but I do know it was rather expensive..

If you find a match let me know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-28-2010

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
I found a pretty close match at autozone. I am going to use it on my trans and other little stuff and will post how it works. the color is very close, but not exact.
Old 03-20-2010
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Chevy Red-Orange on a Westerbeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterorient View Post
I found a pretty close match at autozone. I am going to use it on my trans and other little stuff and will post how it works. the color is very close, but not exact.
cutterorient got me thinking about the actual color of my 1965 Westerbeke 4.107 - it's pretty close to the red-orange that Chevrolet painted the venerable 283 and 327 engines back in the late 50's - early 60's! This was a real "duh" moment - went to the auto supply and bought Dupli Color 1607 Chevrolet red-orange engine enamel (high temp) and the appropriate engine primer (same maker). Paid less than $6 per can - way better than $25 per can at Hansen! Engine Enamel & High Heat
The color is a dead-ringer for my engine. I suspect that Westerbeke changed colors over the years, as the newer engines look more red to me than red-orange. Happy spray painting!