Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010

cutterorient is on a distinguished road
Exhaust sealant

As part of another job I disconnected the exhaust hoses from the muffler. Pulling them apart I noticed there was a reddish colored sealant used between the male fitting on the box and the hose. It was silicone like in texture.

Does anyone know what this stuff is called as I will need more for reassembly.

Maine Sail, since I know you will read this, I noticed on your oil change video that the oil drain plug cap needs to be painted again I also wanted to say your posts and photos made my life tons easier when I pulled the trans, heated the bolts on the damper plate, etc. Great, generous info. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chances are good that it was an RTV silicone sealant like those sold by Permatex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2010

pedcab is on a distinguished road
I'd recommend this:

GE Silicone II Gasket & Seal Is Waterproof and Airtight, and Resists UV, Oil, and Grease

Sometimes it pays to pay extra for a good brand

Regards!

Portugal

Old 03-01-2010

pedcab is on a distinguished road
Before people come on beating me saying that this product I've suggested is not heat resistant I recomend clicking on the link and reading throught the spec summary before posting...

I'm not in any way affiliated to GE, but I should recommend what is indeed good and proven...

Furthermore nothing too fancy in terms of heat resistance should be required for a boat's exhaust system anywhere downstream of the manifold flanges because boat's exhausts are "cool" systems and run wet for most of the time...
That's why mufflers, hoses and the works are mostly made out of fairly low heat resistant materials...

Portugal

Old 03-07-2010
Mechsmith

Mechsmith is on a distinguished road
I have used the Permatex red RTV even on a dry exaust and it has been satisfactory.

Have everything clean, lightly sanded and a pretty good fit also.
Old 03-07-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Since when is permatex a cheap brand?
Old 03-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Going cheap often means doing the job twice... if you pay a little extra it is often worth it in time and aggravation saved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Since when is permatex a cheap brand?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-08-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I have been in the exhaust business for 33 years. I use Permatex Copper sealant in connections that are questionable. I used it on my new mufflers 4 years ago on Imagine, and not a problem. There's more than one way to skin a cat..........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 03-22-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
Hey, guy,s I just did some new exhaust work this weekend, I used only clamps, should I use sealant. I brought exhaust out of transome, can I use something like teflon thread paste????? Should All connections use this??? Red
Old 03-22-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
It most likely is not needed if everything is clean. I use it for insurance to keep from having to go back in a small hole.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!