Where can I get a Prekins 4 - 108 oil filter? Can I get one at Kregan - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i get mine at walmart.. napa is better than wallys but..... pricing is good at wallys... all our filters are in NAPA and is easy to find em-- good guys there--
gawdIREADTHAT21DOLLARANDSPEWEDCOFFEEONSCREEN,...yi pes...not that pricey in wallys or in napa...
CHIP!!!!1 follow me when i buy parts..LOL..aint payin no retail much less retail plus 400 percent for anything....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 01-30-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I buy my oil and fuel filters for the Perkins 4-108 from a local diesel truck parts shop. This last time they did not have the Perkins name brand fuel filter so I went with the equivalent, however I do like going with the Perkins name brand instead. The Perkins oil filter has two sizes and I've been installing the larger of the two for the past 5 years or so. The fuel filter that I replaced last year is different in internal construction than the Perkins brand and this year I'll try and return to the original brand even though it may not make a beans worth of difference. The Trans America website (tadiesel.com ) has most Perkins parts including gaskets which are hard to come by and I'll be ordering from them soon.
Old 01-31-2011
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Careful with FRAM!

Fram (the orange ones) used to be the "standard" for spin-on L.O. filters - I have read of issues lately with these filters - Google same and check - so they don't seem to be as good as they once were. Things like the non-flowback valve, the relief valve (these are normally full-flow filters, and if they plug up for some reason, the relief valve allows oil to bypass the element and not starve the engine for oil), and the internal element end caps are all critical. Not to mention the filtering media itself.

The Fram PH2821a should cross to a WIX 51806 (double check me on that) - WIX has gained quite a reputation for quality filter construction - they make the "gold" NAPA filters, and are also readily available at auto part stores and Wally World. DON'T spend crazy money on "Perkins" brand filters, but DON'T risk your engine on cheapies either! Happy Motoring!
Old 02-01-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLATRIX1965 View Post
DON'T spend crazy money on "Perkins" brand filters, but DON'T risk your engine on cheapies either! Happy Motoring!
I spent $7.83 for the large perkins oil filter at a diesel truck parts store here in Maryland.(JG Parks and Son) The fuel filter was about the same price but was not the Perkins name. Haven't checked the online prices yet, but will go back to the Perkins brand on the fuel filter this spring assuming that I can buy it online and/or the truck parts place starts carrying it again.
Old 02-01-2011
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Perkins 4.108 are used the world over, a majority are in farm tractors, pumps and generators. I just picked up 4 from a farm supplies at 1/3 the cost (made in Malaysia) but perkins specs. Ryco Z103 wereabout $30 here in Oz.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 02-01-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2011

OceanFreedom is on a distinguished road
I buy most of my Perkins stuff through S&W Desiel S&W Diesel, Inc. Perkins Engine Sales & Service
These guys are a great resource and will bend over backwards to help you out.

Even if you do not buy anything from them they are a good resource.

Cheers!
Old 02-13-2011
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
If your Perkins filter mounts with the open end down, you need to make sure that you use genuine Perkins filters or that the filters you use have an anti-flowback valve, which not all the generic cross-references do. Otherwise the oil will drain out of the filter when the engine is off, and it takes too long to build oil pressure when you start the engine.