Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Betas claim quieter. Any validilty to that?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Probably, due to the heavy flywheel that they add to the engines, it should be a bit quieter as the vibration will be less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-15-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
I replaced my 4108 with a Beta 50. One big consideration was that I could use the existing 2" exhaust system (Yanmar wants 3"). The 4108 only has about 35 usable hp, and Beta recommended the 37hp as a replacement, but I felt the 4108 was a bit underpowered for my 45' boat.

Two years and 600 hrs on the engine later, I am very happy with the new Beta--its smoother, quieter, and DOES NOT LEAK OIL! When I had a problem with the oil change pump, they fedexed a replacement down to Trinidad in 2 days at no cost.
Old 03-15-2010

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
We will be re-powering within a year. Sounds a bit far off but not for us. We are just getting the data together.
We would like to go through the summer and fall with our current engine.
We are liking the 43 hp 4cyl Beta.
What engine will we go with.
What transmission – we would like to keep our velvet drive.
Will we remove the old engine
How to dispose of it
Will we do the install with dock mates
What options do we want.
What support comes with it

At present the Perkins 108 runs great. Stars right up and goes good. Our reason for re-powering is we are going cruising in 2 ˝ years. Going with a 30 yr old motor that has been in the bilge is not a smart plan for me. How can I explain breaking down 300 mi off somewhere. My wife will be saying “Why did we not replace the motor when we had the chance.” And she is right yet again!

I have heard the motor will run forever, it is all the attached equipment that will fail. Any way we have had to fix a broken injector clamp, broke just sitting there. A dock mate and I fixed it. My wife and I spent a couple hours getting the injector line on without it leaking. The Perkins 4-108 is a tough motor to bleed also, not something for rough seas. I also had to JB weld an adjustment on the injector pump that was leaking. I was told that was the fix. It seems to be working.

If we were going to stay local I would just keep it because it is a good running motor with about 1000 hrs on it.

poopdeckpappy, your welcome to the motor when we remove it if you wish. We can finalize it later. I was wondering how to dispose of it.

They put in new dock at our marina so we may need to have it lifted out at a boat yard. The old slips were cement and more stable than the new wooden ones. A couple Perkins have been removed at our slips (cement) and one was re-powered with a larger Perkins and one with a Beta.

This Saturday we were at Downwind Marine and saw a sign for the Marine Man who sells the Beta here in San Diego. My wife and I walked over as did another customer but the door was locked. His truck was parked on the street with a banner saying he was open. Oh well another time.

Thanks,
Chip

Last edited by SanDiegoChip; 03-15-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
repower

Hey Chip, I am in process of repowering, with a Beta 35HP. My boat is a 38" Jeanneau, 15,500 lbs, old motor was a 30 HP renault. My dealer told me the 28HP was more than enough, unless I was in an area where tide and current were a factor.Always being slow and underpowered I chose the 35HP. It is also a 4 cyl, the cut off is 28HP is 3 cyl. My old eng and trans weighed in around 1000 LBS, new engine and trans 375LBs. I was told not to overpower as the newer diesels need to run in the top 2/3, of rpm band,to get hot enough. Red
Old 03-15-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
Hey Chip, I am in process of repowering, with a Beta 35HP. My boat is a 38" Jeanneau, 15,500 lbs, old motor was a 30 HP renault. My dealer told me the 28HP was more than enough, unless I was in an area where tide and current were a factor.Always being slow and underpowered I chose the 35HP. It is also a 4 cyl, the cut off is 28HP is 3 cyl. My old eng and trans weighed in around 1000 LBS, new engine and trans 375LBs. I was told not to overpower as the newer diesels need to run in the top 2/3, of rpm band,to get hot enough. Red
Redhead,

I think you used good reasoning there. Our boat has a 27 hp Yanmar (11000 lbs) and I wouldn't go with any less.

But I just wanted to mention that Beta recently introduced a somewhat larger 3 cylinder engine, rated to 30 hp: Beta 30

Still, they seem to have a gap in the large 3 cylinder range, where Yanmar has offerings. Four-cylinders would be nice too, but in that size range it's nice to have the better efficiency of the 3 cylinders.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-16-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
We used the halyard to get the old engine out and on the deck, then a local boat hoist to lift it into a pickup truck. Anything big enough to launch a J24 is overkill for an engine/tranny.
Old 03-22-2010

maru657 is on a distinguished road
I bought and installed a 28hrs, 3 cylinder Beta-Marine in San Diego. Phillip at Marine Man, the dealer was very helpfull with advice. Especially since this was the first time I had attempted something like this. I was able to complete the installation, remounting and all but I did get help aligning the shaft since alignment is so critical. After installation the engine started right away with no surprises or problems and now has @ 60 hours of use. I did this myself for the experience and it was worthwhile. I could install or replace another much quicker. However, there is some drudgery involved and I would use Phillip, the dealer to install another just to avoid the work. The engine works great. The oil change pump is awesome and even the manual fuel priming pump shows great engineering. This engine pushes a 20'000lb displacement sailboat at hull speed with no problen and @ 2100rpm, the fuel burn is about 1/2 gallon/hour.
Old 06-12-2011

SailTweeker is on a distinguished road
Rebuilt zero hour Universal M40 for sale

Hi all, I have a freshly rebuilt zero hour Universal M40 for sale on Shelter Island in San Diego, has a 6 month warranty too. If you would like more info or to arrange to take a look at it please feel free to drop me a line..

Much thanks,
David
Old 06-13-2011

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
re-power with the Beta 38

We have done the re-power with the Beta 38 hp and all the details are on our blog. We love it so far.

Elegant'sea: Engine

Here is a video also