SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stored Westerbeke 46

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Paladin 
#1 ·
I have a Westerbeke 46 thats been sitting in heated storage for 10 years. I dont have plans for it for another 2years. The marina that stored it had rebuilt the motor before storage. I have mechanical skills but have only worked on and rebuilt gasoline motors. Plan on taking a deisel motor class. My question is should I pull the injectors and dribble some oil into them, so that I prevent any damage untill I know what i'm looking at.
The motor is in a dry basement thats heated.

#2 ·
It certainly would not hurt to do that. Most people would not bother but if you want to put in the effort, go for it. Most of the problems are a result of there being water in the cylinders that has leaked in through the exhaust but the way your engine is stored, it sounds like it is stored dry? It is still possible for everything to rust up but much less likely. Chances are if things move now, they will still move in 2 years.

You could always see whether it will bar over and make a call from there.

#4 ·
Yes, squirt some mystery oil into the cylinders to prevent the piston rings from sticking to the cylinder walls...take care with those injecter sealing washers. The Westerbeke 46 is a nice engine. Contact the service department at Westerbeke when your ready to recommission, they may have some suggestions. If there's a transmission- over fill it with fluid.

#12 ·
It's common to refer to the hours "since overhaul" or "since full rebuild". In the aircraft industry they have a term "SMOH" (Since Major OverHaul.

It's NOT considered O/K to leave that reference out and imply it's a factory new engine. That's regarded as deceptive although a properly rebuilt engine is equal to new, even better in some cases if the time was taken to "blueprint" it.

#9 ·
Every few months or so turn the motor over a few revolutions, avoiding it stopping at the same crank position each time.
If it turns over OK, I certainly would not distirb the injectors to pour oil in there. leave well alone, friend.
If it bothers you, spray some WD40 down the inlet tract and turn the motor over very slowly afterward.

#10 ·
I still have the motor, dream has been put on hold. Still holding fast. Motor is still in heated storage and i have a dehumidifier maintaining humidity. Havent messed with anything yet, but it still moves. Im guessing rings havent froze. Not sure on seals but thinking of getting a motor stand and giving her a crank.

#13 ·
Adding Marvel will help to free up the rings. Injectors are basically nothing but high pressure check valves.(30 year diesel mech here) Soaking them could eliminate varnish that the fuel may have turned into. Most reputable marinas "pickle" engines that are known to be going into long term storage. This means they put additives in all areas,fuel, oil, & water. these additives are conducive to help in long term storage.Running the engine long enough for this additive to reach the injectors is the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.