SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Stored Westerbeke 46 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/62907-stored-westerbeke-46-a.html)

renbluefish 03-15-2010 02:43 PM

Stored Westerbeke 46

I have a Westerbeke 46 thats been sitting in heated storage for 10 years. I dont have plans for it for another 2years. The marina that stored it had rebuilt the motor before storage. I have mechanical skills but have only worked on and rebuilt gasoline motors. Plan on taking a deisel motor class. My question is should I pull the injectors and dribble some oil into them, so that I prevent any damage untill I know what i'm looking at.
The motor is in a dry basement thats heated.

klem 03-15-2010 06:04 PM

It certainly would not hurt to do that. Most people would not bother but if you want to put in the effort, go for it. Most of the problems are a result of there being water in the cylinders that has leaked in through the exhaust but the way your engine is stored, it sounds like it is stored dry? It is still possible for everything to rust up but much less likely. Chances are if things move now, they will still move in 2 years.

You could always see whether it will bar over and make a call from there.

renbluefish 03-15-2010 07:40 PM

thanks klem, I have some Marvels Mystery Oil I can use just to get the rings oiled.

priscilla 03-19-2010 07:36 PM

Yes, squirt some mystery oil into the cylinders to prevent the piston rings from sticking to the cylinder walls...take care with those injecter sealing washers. The Westerbeke 46 is a nice engine. Contact the service department at Westerbeke when your ready to recommission, they may have some suggestions. If there's a transmission- over fill it with fluid.

bartvdv 03-20-2010 06:07 AM

it wouldnt hurt to turn the engine by hand a few revolutions.
Keep it airtight.

renbluefish 03-20-2010 08:35 AM

thanks, since the engine was rebuilt does that put the hours back to 0???

captcob 10-02-2012 07:04 PM

Re: Stored Westerbeke 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by renbluefish (Post 581059)
I have a Westerbeke 46 thats been sitting in heated storage for 10 years. I dont have plans for it for another 2years. The marina that stored it had rebuilt the motor before storage. I have mechanical skills but have only worked on and rebuilt gasoline motors. Plan on taking a deisel motor class. My question is should I pull the injectors and dribble some oil into them, so that I prevent any damage untill I know what i'm looking at.
The motor is in a dry basement thats heated.

Do you still have this engine available??

captcob 10-02-2012 07:06 PM

Do you still have this engine and what kind of condition is it now??

Rockter 10-02-2012 08:32 PM

Every few months or so turn the motor over a few revolutions, avoiding it stopping at the same crank position each time.
If it turns over OK, I certainly would not distirb the injectors to pour oil in there. leave well alone, friend.
If it bothers you, spray some WD40 down the inlet tract and turn the motor over very slowly afterward.

renbluefish 10-04-2012 05:11 PM

I still have the motor, dream has been put on hold. Still holding fast. Motor is still in heated storage and i have a dehumidifier maintaining humidity. Havent messed with anything yet, but it still moves. Im guessing rings havent froze. Not sure on seals but thinking of getting a motor stand and giving her a crank.