Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010

Warden is on a distinguished road
Swindle FoleyMarine

On June 3rd I contacted Foley Industrial who advertises their company as… a leading expert in Twin disk power take offs.

I ordered from them a new clutch disk to replace mine that had lost its teeth after four years of hard use.

They also suggested that I buy from them a pilot ball bearing to go with the clutch disk and so I did.

The parts were shipped to me the next day and I was pleased that the shipping was very fast.

Our conversation on the first order on 6/3/10.also he told me that the three-piece clutch disk was not as long lasting as a one-piece disk. The one-piece disk requires the disassembly on the unit at a specially equipped facility with a press, while the three-piece disk does not. Page One

I installed the disk and pilot bearing and during the installation I noticed that the iron ring that mates with the composite clutch disk was worn but still looked serviceable.

The machine had light duty and did a few jobs and then the clutch failed again and lost its teeth.

I then ordered the mating iron ring and a new clutch disk and once again the shipping was the best. I also took another of the same power take off’s…. that I have and brought in to a very well known and reputable shop… …. to have the unit disassembled to put in a one-piece disk.

When I came back for the unit there had been a cracked piece and the unit was not serviceable at this time and Mike the owner told me to go with the three piece clutch disk as he knew of many tree cutters using the three piece clutch disk out in the field for extended periods of time without problems.

Upon the installation of the new clutch disk and iron-mating ring this unit tore apart in about a week. I called back the local guy that I trust….. and he stated that there was something very wrong and that I should investigate.

I called the Twin disk Main office and they put me through to the exclusive east coast distributor for genuine Twin disk parts….. after we discovered…. that the Foley clutch disk that had so little wear…. on the toothless facing that the numbers were still visible…was not a twin disk clutch disk.

When I put in my order at the east coast Twin disk Dealer he said that he knew those guys at Foley Industrial and that they did not buy anything from him and that they used “will fit” parts.

Page Two

I ordered a genuine twin disk part from them and it cost $41 dollars compared to the $120 dollars that Foley engines (or should I say phony engines) for a counterfeit disk.

During the installation of the genuine disk I noticed that the pilot bearing that I had purchased from Foley was defective and was expelling grease from what is supposed to be a sealed bearing so I put the genuine pilot bearing back in that was still good after four years of service.

I called visa and they stated that I needed to make an effort to get satisfaction from Foley. I called and got the service manager. He said that twin disk did not make their own clutch disk either, and stated that the factory disk would also fail immediately.

I replied that “ok I will give you that and I will run it and see if it does blow up and then we shall see. That is how our conversation ended and there was no angry words from either me or the service manager that I recall.

So we have had no problem with the twin disk clutch disk and have given it some hard use.

I called up Foley and this time I got “doctor Diesel” who stated that his service manager had said to him that….. (myself) had been very rude to his service manager.

I then said to “Doctor Diesel” that I am going to dispute the charges and he yelled “fine” and slammed the phone down and hung up and he was very rude. The whole conversation lasted perhaps ten seconds. There has been no other conversation between us.
Page Three

I was left with the impression that they were out to really swindle me and were interested in getting me up to their shop to exchange my power take of for one of their “will fit” units.

The only straight answer I ever got from them for any question at any time…. was that the exchange would cost a thousand dollars which they recommended forcibly.

I am sixty years old and have been dealing with engines and related parts almost my entire life. If you ask me, I think that these Foley people are ruthless and without scruples…. as they palm off phony parts to an innocent public.

End

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2011
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
Sorry to rehash this one but DAMN I thought it might have been me but sure-nuff this guy was abrupt w/me too. I was asking for info and prices on a rebuild kit for the HBW 50 tranny I have and he was trying to sell me his $350 kit with the clutch parts ...VS the $170 online price @ other places. When I asked why he was soooo much more he says" because you get directions, do you hear me?" I try to say something and he says again...""hold on are you listening to me?" Anywho what a joke I promptly hung up....

BTW anyone know where to get the rebuild parts @ a good price? East coast...

Thanks

Josh

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 01-19-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreeoff View Post
Sorry to rehash this one but DAMN I thought it might have been me but sure-nuff this guy was abrupt w/me too. I was asking for info and prices on a rebuild kit for the HBW 50 tranny I have and he was trying to sell me his $350 kit with the clutch parts ...VS the $170 online price @ other places. When I asked why he was soooo much more he says" because you get directions, do you hear me?" I try to say something and he says again...""hold on are you listening to me?" Anywho what a joke I promptly hung up....

BTW anyone know where to get the rebuild parts @ a good price? East coast...

Thanks

Josh
Call Hansen Marine in Marblehead, MA. They are the Northeast Universal/Westerbeke distributor and do a ton of Hurth/ZF rebuilds. Tracy in parts should be able to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-19-2011

Hello About Foley the cutch disk and bearing that I got from him was rubbish and twice as expensive as the TwinDisk dealer in MA. By rubbish I mean RUBBISH.
Old 03-03-2011

crystalbayjay is on a distinguished road
just a matter of time

How can they keep doing this, for at least 10 years this keeps going on, 17 complaints with BBB, 5 at the attorney general, 5 at rip off report, and plenty more. I have also been a victim of Foley and will talk about it more, later next week
Old 03-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
Is "Phil" related to Dr. Dipshit, or is it his alter ego? Is there a list of the 99 other business's.
I think that he is all 3 people, or they all sound the same on the phone, just depends on how he feels which personality he will use.
Old 03-04-2011

I will, I could use this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Well if you need a reference as to what a jerk this guy is, just let me know...Its easy to paste a slant that makes you look bad..He is just one voice ..I have heard many contrary voices to his stellar claims of himself...Including a past employee...Ive been in buisness myself for 24 years and you cant find one complaint against me.

I will publicly stand behind anything I have said about him and my personal contact experience with him as 100% truthful.

Funny ....He looks just about the way I figured he would.....just missing the US flag and State Crest flag behind him ....
Thanks!!!
Old 03-05-2011

Doctor Diesel Phony Engines

Hello group!!! I am happy to report that when I run a search on Foley Engines that RipoffReport comes up also along side Foley's site and has complaints from the Sailnet group in plain view.

It is a social responability to do what can be done to protect the public.

To file a complaint with RipoffReport.com is effective and is some of your complaints are directly posted not hidden in the ripoff site.

If any of you would check this out and see if your voices are indeed being brought to light.. run the search for foley and if you have not already done so ...spend a few moments pasting your coments on the ripoff site.

Also there is a review form on the yellowpagescom etc that asks for coments about the vender.

WE have a junior member that is being sued by foley as I speak.
Old 03-05-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden View Post
WE have a junior member that is being sued by foley as I speak.
What is a "junior member"? Member of what and being sued for what?

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-05-2011

At the left of your name is "Senior Member" on the left of my name is "Junior Member"
I am really one of the most junior and not important members of the Sailnet Group.
I just started a thread because of particularly awful treatment by Foley Engines and found a lot of company of other people who have been also victims of Mr Foley that are indeed very well mannored and intelligent.

The other fellow is being sued by Mr Foley for a transmission rebuild that was never received by the fellow ordering it and this fellow... who wanted to settle for cash.... and was refused. Is coming three thousand miles to defend in court a claim by Mr Foley that Foley Engines is a victim of being cheated.