Dr. Diesel, Foley Engines, and me... - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 Old 03-07-2011

Looking for a couple more letters

If you have done Business with Foley Marine, or worked for,and had a bad experience, felt like they used unfair or deceptive act or practice, never received core charges, failure to offer warraty for failed parts, engines,or transmissions, can you please send me a PM with your Full Name and address, and the problem you had in a letter form. I would really appreciate your time and help. If you cant use the pm for lack of posts, you can post a couple more times on this thread and then you will be able to send PM.

Thanks again for your help!!!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-07-2011

Foley Engines NOT!

It was worth traveling 6000 miles, yes 6000 miles to stand up against FOLEY ENGINES in their lawsuit against me. Of coarse Dr. Diesel "JAY FOLEY" himself is to cowardly to show up himself but send his service manager to fight his battle for him. Instead I think Dr. Diesel likes to treat people like **** over the phone, acting like a big tough guy, well suck on it! After they sent me notice to appear in small claims court, I tried to pay, they refused my Certified Mail that had a cashiers check in it forcing me to have to travel across the country to show up in Court. It went well as Foley LOST their $1025 claim against me,that I had already tried to give them, and I LOST my counter against them for travel expense, but I used the $1025 I sent them to cover my costs.
So this is how it started,I sent them a ZF Hurth Transmission for rebuilding in August 2010, after 5 weeks of getting the run-around, I found out they sent it to Florida, so I purchased a BRAND NEW transmission from Marysville Marine GREAT COMPANY, then I got a estimate to rebuild my Transmission for $1000 more than a New one, said no thanks, then they billed me $975 for teardown, freight and Invoice fee. After a couple of months I called and tried to settle on a less amount, but instead got sued by them! Foley Engines Say they do the work, but they don't, After looking around and talking to ZF, They told me Foley IS NOT a Dealer, it looks like they buy stuff on EBAY and then sell it to people, thats why it takes so long to get certain things from them.
It is just a matter of time!!!
Thanks Dr. Diesel, DUDE you truly are a piece of work hehe
bird song likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to crystalbayjay For This Useful Post:
bird song (1 Day Ago)
post #33 of 44 Old 04-09-2011

Great job! thanks for the update

That derelict boat was another dream for somebody else, don't let it be your nightmare and a waste of your life.
post #34 of 44 Old 04-15-2011 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbayjay View Post
If you have done Business with Foley Marine, or worked for,and had a bad experience, felt like they used unfair or deceptive act or practice, never received core charges, failure to offer warraty for failed parts, engines,or transmissions, can you please send me a PM with your Full Name and address, and the problem you had in a letter form. I would really appreciate your time and help. If you cant use the pm for lack of posts, you can post a couple more times on this thread and then you will be able to send PM.

Thanks again for your help!!!
I trust you saw mine at the beginning of this thread...

L8R

SKip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Follow us at

and/or
post #35 of 44 Old 06-13-2011

I had the misfortune of calling Folley Engines today concerning parts for a water pump. What an arrogant & rude bunch they are! From almost their third sentence, the individual with whom I spoke began insulting. He called me a "difficult person" when I inquired of the typical cost of a pump rebuild or even a ball park price.

Fortunately, I spent my money else where as I have learned not to spend money with such business and people.

You must have done the community well by posting your experience with Foley Engines. Caveat Emptor!

Last edited by RobS; 06-13-2011 at 09:10 PM.
post #36 of 44 Old 10-07-2015
Jud

A few months ago, I was referred to Foley Diesel (or Foley Engines) by a very reputable engine service place and dealer to help answer a question that they couldn't answer. (I was trying to determine if my Volvo has a Perkins block; the Volvo dealer didn't know and said Foley might know, since they deal in Perkins.) I will not name the other place so as not to associate them in any way with Foley, which was a truly awful place to deal with. The guy from the first place actually warned me - "Foley can be a bit rude..." I had no idea what he meant.

Foley insulted me --seriously-- within a minute or two of the start of the conversation, calling me arrogant, etc. It felt like the Twilight Zone - out of nowhere, this person I don't even know is brashly twisting my words, calling me rude and a waste of his time - and then he abruptly hung up on me! It was a truly bizarre experience. Fortunately, I was not a customer who had spent any money, or I'd have been very pissed off rather than just flabbergasted! I would never deal with them again - it was a very unpleasant experience talking to "Dr. Diesel".

(It's almost worth calling up "Dr. Diesel" to see for yourself! But I wouldn't recommend that... :-) :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I had the misfortune of calling Folley Engines today concerning parts for a water pump. What an arrogant & rude bunch they are! From almost their third sentence, the individual with whom I spoke began insulting. He called me a "difficult person" when I inquired of the typical cost of a pump rebuild or even a ball park price.

Fortunately, I spent my money else where as I have learned not to spend money with such business and people.

You must have done the community well by posting your experience with Foley Engines. Caveat Emptor!

Last edited by Jud; 10-07-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #37 of 44 Old 10-07-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: Dr. Diesel, Foley Engines, and me...

My only question is how this guy survives in business? Surely enough people know of his reputation and would go anywhere else in the world for work.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #38 of 44 Old 10-07-2015
Jud

No idea - but I think I remember reading in this thread (which I came across after dealing with them and I googled "Doctor Diesel") that someone said or speculated that they have contracts with other big firms or something like that. I gather that they have actually been around a long time (think it's a family business).

Whatever the case, my experience with the "Doctor" was exactly as that of the person above I replied to. Trust me, you have to experience it to believe it!
post #39 of 44 Old 10-07-2015

Ironically, there are still people that refer business to them. I know, because I was referred there this summer (by a friend of a friend). It was absolutely bizarre, just like all these accounts that I wasn't smart enough to look up first. I suspect I wasn't referred by someone who did not have actual experience.

The short story is that I personally spoke with the folks at Foley to see if they had a rebuild kit and the time to rebuild my transmission. I asked when it could be done and they volunteered that they could get me back on the water by the following weekend. I did not ask for that kind of turn around, but it clearly got them the job. I had someone drop off the gear and then followed up the next day. They then changed their story and said they couldn't even look at it for at least two weeks. When I called and emailed to ask what happened, they would not take my call or reply to my email. Still haven't. I retrieved it and had another shop get the job done that week.

Twilight Zone was exactly the experience. I would never even try to use them again.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #40 of 44 Old 1 Week Ago

I had an awful experience with Foley Engines and Dr. Diesel. We were sailing from Pensacola to New Orleans for my kids' Spring Break and had a little trouble with our engine. I called up Foley Engines to order a new injector line for our Westerbeke 40. Long, long story short, they charged me $200 for a $59 part, and $111 shipping and handling for an 8" long by 1/4" stainless line. The part turned out to be completely wrong. If they would have just looked at the pictures I had sent them it would have been obvious. I returned the line the same day I received it, in the same packaging. All I asked for was a $200 refund to my credit card. Dr. Diesel told me "no sir, we believe we sent you the correct line" (see the picture of the old line vs. new line). This was a "special order" and they don't refund special orders. If a brand new injector line off the shelf is a special order, then what isn't a special order? When I told him I would have my credit card company stop payment, he said he would see me in court. I guess he's been to court before.

I wish I had read this forum before trying to do business with Foley Engines. This is easily the worst customer service experience I have ever witnessed. Stay away from Foley Engines in Worcester, MA and the very rude Dr. Diesel.

Now, on a very positive note. After receiving the wrong part from Foley Engines, I called Sheri at Trans Atlantic Diesels in Hayes, VA. Wow! Now this is how you treat customers. With a single picture, Sheri grabbed the correct injector line off the shelf, sent me a picture for verification, packaged and sent the line "Next Day Air" by 10:30 AM. I was charged $96 for the part and shipping & handling (compared to the $311 Foley Engines billed me for the wrong part). I received the part the next day, installed it and it was perfect. We finished our trip and my kids' spring break without any more problems. Thank you Sheri and Trans Atlantic Diesels!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4165.JPG  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.