Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010

RussT1950 is on a distinguished road
Fuel leak in injector pump

Hello to all,
I have a Cat 30 with a M25xp diesel motor. Sometime ago I noticed a fuel leak where the injector pump screws into the block. (I think its the injector pump). The leak is pretty bad going into the bilge and causing the whole boat to stink. Is there some type of metal washer underneath that might be bad, or will tightening it do the trick. Only wrenches I had this time were standard. Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks, Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Have you done anything to the pump or injector lines lately? The metal tubes that supply the injectors with fuel are under high pressure. I would start checking where those lines fit into the injector pump. Maybe its leaking there and running down where that flange is and giving the appearance that it's leaking there. Check your dip stick too incase the pump is leaking in the body and leaking some fuel into your oil.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would point out that over-tightening the fuel system banjo bolts can often cause the washers to distort and cause leaks. The washers are supposed to be replaced, as they are designed to be sacrificial...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2010

I think your probably right, the fuel line is leaking and not the pump. Do I need to try and just tighten it up?
Old 04-10-2010

I would try that first myself. I think you can find a manual for that motor on the C-34 website, for a torque value. Injector lines have been known to split on the ends or perhaps just the vibration loosened something up.
La Conner, WA

Old 04-10-2010

La Conner, WA

Old 04-10-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I don't know that engine or system, but if there are very thin copper washers, that look like copper "foil" ?

Those would be common "crush washers" which literally ARE copper foil. They are intended to distrot and conform to the shape of the joint they are sealing, and most folks are unaware that they are strictly "use once and replace" parts. REPLACEMENT IS MANDATORY. They will plague you with fuel or air leaks if you try to re-use them, so if your system does use them, order a box of a DOZEN so you have no incentive to re-use them. In many systems you would bleed air from the lines at these some points--and the process of loosening the line and then tightening it (bleeding) actually requires replacing the damned crush washer, or it will leak.

This is one reason why some of us will share quarters with a diesel engine, but we'll never love it.
Old 04-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup...those are the beasties I'm talking about.. the crush washers for the damned banjo bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I don't know that engine or system, but if there are very thin copper washers, that look like copper "foil" ?

Those would be common "crush washers" which literally ARE copper foil. They are intended to distrot and conform to the shape of the joint they are sealing, and most folks are unaware that they are strictly "use once and replace" parts. REPLACEMENT IS MANDATORY. They will plague you with fuel or air leaks if you try to re-use them, so if your system does use them, order a box of a DOZEN so you have no incentive to re-use them. In many systems you would bleed air from the lines at these some points--and the process of loosening the line and then tightening it (bleeding) actually requires replacing the damned crush washer, or it will leak.

This is one reason why some of us will share quarters with a diesel engine, but we'll never love it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2010

Thanks to all that have responded. I talked to a Kubota guy and he told me that the injection line is a compression fitting and usually needs to be replaced if it leaks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.